Drives not recognized at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 12th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Drives not recognized

So, after spending a month trying to match up schedules, my friend and I are finally doing a test to see if my P2 clips will interface with his HP Avid set up.

Nuthin', nada, zip.

My little LaCie rugged drive isn't recognized, nor is my Glyph 050Q. We tried using both the USB and FW400 ports, different cables, Still nothing.

I am a Mac user-MacBook Pro w/Intel chip and his system is a Hewlit Packard XW4600 Work Station, running Avid Media Composer 2.7.2. Windows XP pro, version 2002, SP2.

Is this the old Mac versus PC language problem? I thought that these two drives, especially the LaCie, were cross platform compatible.

Any ideas?

Oh, the HP beeps when the drive is plugged in, it shows up in the device manager and the "safely remove device" icon shows up in the tray, but the drive itself does not show up. How do we access the info??

Very frustrating.
Thanks!

Last edited by Mark Sasahara; October 12th, 2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: adding info
Mark Sasahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #2

What's the Lacie formatted? If its HFS, the HP will never be able to read it. Try MACDRIVE7 in the HP.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Using the Mac Disk Utility, the format is Mac OS extended. Looks like we will have to reformat. Reading the info at the LaCie website, looks like we're screwed.

So, would the best thing to do be to dump clips back onto the P2 card and then use the camera as host to dump onto the reformatted drive?

This is frustrating since the drive is advertised at plaug and play and usable for both Mac and PC.

Good thing we're figuring this out before we shoot.
Old October 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I would try MacDrive 7, as Bill suggested. In spring, I shot a film using HVX200 as DOP, and I wanted copy of files from the hard drive. It was mac formated, but I downloaded MacDrive7, and was able to offload the files. Great program...
Old October 13th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
I would try MacDrive 7, as Bill suggested... Great program...
Bill & Chris, thank you so much!

Our workflow test/edit will reconvene this weekend. We'll download MacDrive 7 and report back Monday.

This is why we test :~) This is also why this forum is so great :~))

Last edited by Mark Sasahara; October 13th, 2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: fix spelling/caps
Mark Sasahara is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC