XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 12th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #1
New Boot

XP 64 bit or Vista 64 bit?

Im going to be building or purchasing a new editing system not too far down the road and was wondering which OS would be better and why? I know XP doesnt have near the overhead of Vista or the compatibility issues. What would be my major concerns going into this with one or the other? Is there a reason that Vista seems more prevalent in editing platforms?

Thanks

Steve
Steve Sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

Microsoft is dropping support for XP 64-bit and putting their efforts into Vista 64-bit. So you will find better compatibility with Vista 64-bit, especially when it comes to drivers. Additionally, many of the software producers are skipping XP 64-bit certification, and jumping directly to Vista 64-bit as a system requirement, for example, Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere Pro.
Old October 12th, 2008, 06:35 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Mike. Even with XP support going away, wouldnt the trade off be worth it in the long run? Ive had Vista 32 bit for a while now and while I havent had any real issues with it, its quite a bit of a hog when it comes to resources.
Steve Sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #4
Regular Crew

What compatibility issues? I've been using Vista 64x since March 2007 and have had zero issues.
Amish Solanki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 09:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have also been running vista 64 for a while. No issues at all, mainly because I don't plug in my consumer camera or webcam...ect ect.

You can cut the fat from the vista OS, also if you run it purely for editing, OS performance shouldn't be an issue.
Like Michael said vista 64bit is future proof and is will be supported by all the developers.
Blake Raidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2008, 11:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Raidal View Post
I have also been running vista 64 for a while. No issues at all, mainly because I don't plug in my consumer camera or webcam...ect ect.
Which consumer camera/webcam do you have?
Amish Solanki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC