DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Avid Xpress 3.5 vs. Canopus DVStorm2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/13719-avid-xpress-3-5-vs-canopus-dvstorm2.html)

Alex Dunn August 25th, 2003 03:11 PM

Avid Xpress 3.5 vs. Canopus DVStorm2

I see a lot of Avid comparisons to FCP and Adobe, but DVStorm2 seems to be a major player. Has anyone compared these two systems side by side?

Does anyone know of a website that has done so? I understand Avid is the industry workhorse, but DVStorm seems to be doing great things, and it includes hardware based real-time effects and hardware MPEG2 encoding. Most people agree Canopus's ProCodor is the best for MPEG coding, so isn't that a pretty good selling point. All of Avid's advertisements include the disclaimer: we're the best software-only NLE. That sounds like they're bowing down to Canopus right there. What am I missing?

The truth is, I'm pretty sold on the DVStorm2, but I don't want to regret it later on. What does Avid have that's so special, other than it's what "everbody" is supposedly using.

Alex Dunn August 28th, 2003 12:15 PM

Has no one used both Avid and Canopus? There are no thoughts on this matter?

Edward Troxel August 28th, 2003 01:03 PM

DVStorm 2 is a CARD. The NLE is usually Premiere. You said you had seen comparisons between Avid and Adobe - that should be your comparison.

Alex Dunn August 28th, 2003 01:21 PM

Hmmm . . . that is a good point. DVStorm2 is actually an editing suite (StormEdit) that relies heavily on it's hardware card. But the point remains and is well taken. Thank you.

I'll re-phrase my question. Will I get noticably better quality from the DVStorm2 card than from a software-only solution like Avid XpressDV?

I just learned that Avid XpressPro with Mojo (DNA family based hardware accelerator) comes with the FilmMaker's Toolkit including Avid FilmScribe, AutoSync, Dupe Detection, Script-Based editing, Avid Log Exchange, Film Effects, IllusionFX, Image Stabilization, Avid Pan and Zoom, Sorenson Squeeze 3.1 Compression Suite, Boris GRAFFITI LTD, Sonic Solutions ReelDVD and Profound Effects Elastic Gasket.

I was thinking I'd have to purchase those things separately. I guess Avid just doesn't feel they need to market those things, the name sells its self.

I don't think I'm considering the Canopus any longer.

Jeff Chandler August 28th, 2003 02:38 PM

What are your needs? I have Avid 3.5, FCP4 and a DVStorm2 with both Premiere and Edius. I do a lot of events like dance performances, and the real "realtime" of the Storm ensures that it is my most used system. Why? Because of instant color correction, white balance, etc. If you have time for long renders, then Avid would be a good solution (although money wise, I still would go for the Storm). That said, I use all of the systems for different reasons (I teach video production at a high school, that's why I have Avid and FCP - I want my students exposed to a variety of NLE's), but my primary is the Storm. I think the first question you always need to answer when looking for an NLE is, which system meets the most of my needs? None of them will make you a better editor. Some are just better matched to your skills or personal preferences.

Alex Dunn August 28th, 2003 02:52 PM

Jeff,

Thank you, that is just the response I was looking for. Now, if you had to choose one and lose the others forever, in the event business you're in, which one would you choose?

Glenn Chan August 28th, 2003 03:26 PM

(quote)>>I think the first question you always need to answer when looking for an NLE is, which system meets the most of my needs?

Alex, the best NLE usually depends on what you need to do with it. Are you shooting multicam or just one camera? Do you need titling, lots of color correction, and DVD encoding?

Alex Dunn August 28th, 2003 03:40 PM

Now we're talking. Primarily one cam, and yes, I want all those things expecially the DVD encoding.

Mike Rehmus August 30th, 2003 03:29 PM

For reliability, speed, quality and general all around usefullness, the Storm or the other Canopus RT products are it hands down for my business.

I've recently moved to Edius which is still fast, more powerful and still reliable. Plugs right in in place of StormEdit, RexEdit, etc.

Once you use real real time, there is just no going back.

Avid would be a reasonable choice if I had to take my video further than just to DVD or VHS. If I had to send the work to an on-line suite (probabaly an Avid) for absolute compliance to, say, the PBS Red Book, then I would look at Avid.

But the Canopus products work very well for commercial cable and any corporate/wedding/event work you will ever need to do.

The only time I reach for something other than a Canopus editing product is when I need serious compositing (AE) or picture prep or creation (Photoshop).

And the ProCoder LE that comes with Edius does a great job of encoding for DVD.

Erik Reynolds August 31st, 2003 11:24 AM

I will chime in on this one too...

I purchased a Storm and use Premiere 6.5 with Pro on the way. I also puchased XDV and have it on the same machine...

For what I do, which is multicam editing that goes to local cable and broadcast each week, I never leave my Storm/Premiere bundle. I use a multicam software to cut my project together and have realtime everything with the Storm. The only reason I use Avid is because it's industry standard. Other than that it slows me down and doesn't provide what I need as a DV man, on stict deadlines: reliable real-time.

If you have to work with others who work with Avid, then go Avid, just because they can be a pain to work with always wanting to have the Avid vs Premiere, Avid vs FCP, etc.. debates, and it gets old after a while.

I get my work done and on time, that's what matters to me.

Alex Dunn September 2nd, 2003 08:53 AM

Thanks!

Arnaldo Paixao September 3rd, 2003 03:27 AM

Hi all.

How about the Matrox RT-X100 Xtreme?

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Mike Rehmus September 3rd, 2003 01:34 PM

Doesn't have nearly the good rep as the Canopus products.

My only experience with Matrox support was not good. Others have had great luck with them.

The other big problem with Pinnacle and Matrox is that they have more new models than the automobile companies. When they come out with something new, the old product usually loses support if one can believe the posted laments by the owners of the abandoned products.

My oldest Canopus product is almost 5 years old. It still is kept up to date by Canopus. For the first time I recently bought updated software from them. An entirely new editing program that is quite good right out of the chute.

Their older software still works fine and is supported at no cost. Their drivers have kept up with NT, 2000, and XP while the software itself has been upgraded at no cost to handle dual processors and other embedded tools created by the microprocessor makers. Plus their Codecs have always been the yardstick against which others are measured. Did I mention that the systems are fast and the RT is real RT? Always has been.

If I want to speed up my Canopus system, all I have to do is upgrade my computer. I'm not limited by the on-board hardware on the edit card. Most other systems cannot do this and now the other manufacturers are starting to understand and support the concept.

So while others have been changing editing systems to keep up to date, the Canopus users have Just Been Editing. It seems a simple thing but it makes a large difference at the end of the day, month and year.

Arnaldo Paixao September 4th, 2003 04:23 AM

Matrox RT-X100

Hi Mike.

I'm happy with Matrox. My RT-X100 is my workhorse and never let me down. I get Real Time worfklow (no rendering) and RT mpeg-2 encoding for DVD with very good quality.
Matrox released The RT-X100 Xtreme and I upgraded mine at no cost with zero problems.

Nevertheless it's good to hear other opinions like yours, and it will be taken into consideration on my future purchase decisions.

Best regards,
Arnaldo

David Hurdon September 4th, 2003 06:22 AM

Bit of a tangent but, Mike, what usage or performance issues led you to choose a Canopus NLE for Storm2 versus continuing with Premiere? I've never been clear on the pros and cons of selecting an NLE for a specific card, provided all contenders are supported of course.

David Hurdon