Video Card Requirements to Edit HD Footage? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 12th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Video Card Requirements to Edit HD Footage?

I am currently using Pinnacle Studio Plus to edit SD but Studio Plus is capable of editing HD footage. Using the JVC GY-HD100U...when I capture with the camera in HD mode the computer gives me a message (don't recall word-for-word) but it relates to the video card not being able to allow capture of the HD footage.

I realize editing HD requires alot of hard-drive space. If I add an external hard-drive do you think this will fix the problem? I have been looking at a few external drives and before buying I wanted to get some input.

Thanks,
Lisa
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:46 AM   #2
Trustee

Capturing is normally done with firewire, not through a videocard. External drives are OK as long as they are eSATA drives. Storage requirements for HDV are no different than DV.
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Major Player

I capture using firewire but when the camera is set at HD instead of the SD setting, the computer doesn't always capture and gives me a popup message. So I'm guessing I need more disk space and thinking an external drive will allow me to alot more storage.

Best,
LB
Old November 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Hi Lisa..................

What video card do you have and what is it's maximum displayable resolution?

It's possible that your hitting it with a resolution it can't handle.

I can't see why a video card message would have anything to do with your disk capacity.

The actual message would be a good place to start - any chance you can recreate it?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #5
Major Player

Tonight I did another test and I was able to firewire some HDV footage. I was able to capture some clips.

After one of the captures, I clicked on "edit" and then had an exclamation mark show up in the preview player and a message:

Warning! This computer ay not have enough graphics card memory for HDV capture.

I took a 17 sec clip and rendered it with the specs that are required for an upcoming HDV shoot. It requires constant bit rate instead of variable. When I use variable my sound and video plays ok. But on CBR the video plays but audio is distorted.

Maybe I have a setting wrong or something. The project encode requires 10,000 kbps, CBR, mpeg2, progressive, audio bit rate 224 kbps.

Any input appreciated.

Thank you
Lisa
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Uh,.........Lisa.....

Going back to your original post (if we may?) can you inform a somewhat puzzled audience what system you're using for this work and it's internal components?

CPU(s); memory; hard drive(s); audio card/ chipset; graphics card/ chipset/ memory; operating system - you know, all the boring stuff.

It's impossible to attempt answers to your questions with such vague data to work with.

CS
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:24 AM   #7
Major Player

Friday I on a test, I was able to capture a clip of HD from camera, add it to the timeline and render. I needed it to be constant bir rate but cbr video played ok but audio was choppy.

Today I tried to take the same clip and add it to the timeline but today just above the timeline where it gives the title of the project, it changes to red letters and reads "cannot edit HD: graphics card doesn't have enough memory. Why one day it works and the next it doesn't is beyond me....

Here is some info on the system.

Gateway MX6425 laptop w/firewire
64 bit powerhouse
amd turion 64 mobile
windows xp service pack 2
ati radeon express 200m
1.79 ghz 960 mb ram

I have cleared off some files to save some space but think I;m going to try and clear off just about everything that I can and see if it makes a difference....in case it's a storage problem that is making the problem occur. My thinking had ben that maybe an external storage drive 750gb will help.

thanks for the input.
LB
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Every software package has minimum system requirements listed on its website. Read them and take them seriously.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Adam,

Sometimes it will edit hd and sometimes it won't. Friday it started working but today a different story.

Thanks
LB
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

- based on the specs -

I'm thinking your problem might be based on the fact that your videocard currently shares system memory. My personal opinion is that isn't a good thing especially if you're trying to edit HD content or even SD for that matter.

Based on the specs I found for your model [your's may vary depending on what options you had installed] it looks like your videocard is maxing out at 64MB. This may or may not have an affect on it directly but overall this is kind of low.

Here's the link:
????????????????????????
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi again.............

Laurence is correct in that your graphics chip is sharing system memory to "do it's thing".

The problem comes when other apps need that memory to do theirs.

The easy, tho' exceedingly long winded, way to try to improve matters is to disable the whole of the entries in your "Startup" list (start, run, msconfig, enter, startup tab, "disable all" etc etc) and then to do the same with your "Services" tab.

The problem with this is that laptops use all sorts of weird and wonderfull little apps to get round their inherrent limitations and disableing your services tab may well kill some of those in the process. The memory manager is but one. It may be necessary to re - enable items in your services tab one by one till you get a stable system.

This is long winded as it requires a re - boot after every change.

The longer term answer is to buy more memory for your laptop, unless it's already maxed - will your system take more than 960MB?

CS
Old November 17th, 2008, 01:48 PM   #12
Major Player

Not sure if it will take more memory or not....I have to check.

I tried to edit the same short clip (HD) as I did Friday. Of course today it gave me the cannot edit message...

I got rid of some files from a video project I just completed for a client and then firewired the camera and captured another HD clip. While the camera was still connected (not that it makes a difference but for the sake of the conversation) while still connected I laid down the HD clip on the timeline (2:00 Minutes) and was able to then render as an mpeg2 and it played in the pinnacle preview window and in windows media player (v.11). sound strange?

Anyway, thought I would pass on the info. Not sure how long of a clip it will allow (while it is working again) but it started working again.

I'll have to see about expanding the memory and go from there.

On another note, when I go into my documents and then video files to open a clip to play in windows media player, many times I get a popup window regarding "data execution prevention To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program"...I always click close and then don;t send for report....it says this can be disabled but I didn't in case it was the bad thing to do. Apparently, it's to protect computer if the file had a virus or something. It's a window from the system but not from McAfee. Wondering if safe to disable the data execution?

Thanks again for all of the input...it's a great help.
Old November 17th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Here's what you said you have:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Bennett View Post
Gateway MX6425 laptop w/firewire
64 bit powerhouse
amd turion 64 mobile
windows xp service pack 2
ati radeon express 200m
1.79 ghz 960 mb ram
You don't say what version of Pinnacle Studio Plus you have, but here's what they say you need:

Minimum System Requirements
Windows® XP SP2 (SP3), Windows Vista™ (SP1) Intel® Pentium® or AMD Athlon™ 1.8 GHz (2.4 GHz or higher recommended) Intel Pentium HT or AMD Athlon 2.4 GHz or 1.6 GHz Dual core required for Windows Vista
- Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.4 GHz or higher required for 1440x1080 AVCHD editing
- Intel® Core™2 Quad 2.66 GHz or higher required for 1920x1080 AVCHD editing 1 GB system memory recommended 2 GB required for AVCHD*, recommended for HD and/or Windows Vista DirectX® 9 or 10 compatible graphics card with 64 MB (128 MB or higher recommended)
- 128 MB required on Windows Vista (256 MB or higher recommended)
- 256 MB required for HD and AVCHD* DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound card 2 GB of disk space DVD-ROM drive to install software

I think you have your answer. And these are the minimum requirements, not optimum.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #14
Regular Crew

i used to have an HP with a ati 200m graphics card.

I used it two years ago and worked on it for SD.
Slowest rendering ever for just a 5minute clip with very little effects.
i doubt it'll work for HD.
Samuel Ko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC