Thinking of Touchscreen for Vegas/Cubase work at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Thinking of Touchscreen for Vegas/Cubase work

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a touchscreen for doing video work with Vegas and music production with Cubase. A friend of mine who's a photographer said that you only want a Wacom. I think he has this model: Cintiq 21UX Product Information

My questions are, how would the workflow be with one of these, and is it true that you only want a Wacom? I get the sense that with Cubase I will be able to do work more quickly and effectively, since what I do there is A LOT of very precise editing and micromanaging of events. With Vegas it might be quicker too although I do less microediting.

The problem with the Wacom is that it's so damn expensive. On Newegg there are several touchscreens of different types that are much cheaper. Anybody have some insight into using these to do work...or if it's a good idea to begin with? Oh, and btw, alternative input method suggestions are welcome. Right now I use a Fingerworks iGesture Touchpad for general purpose computer use. Although I like using a mouse better when I do work with host apps.

Thanks!

David H.
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 11:25 PM   #2
Trustee

David... An extremely interesting concept that I haven't thought about. And yes, there are lots of those.

I've never actually liked touch screens, but my experience is somewhat dated with the earliest of which going back to a minicomputer company I worked for 20 years ago. I think the problem with tough screens is with precision of movement and dragging an index finger across the screen is often imprecise.

I've used Wacom tablets for years and they've been flawless. If Wacom have a touch screen monitor, I would expect it to provide the highest level of precision. I think this is what you'd be paying the higher prices for.

If you can find a retailer with a good return policy, and you have funds available, you might want to buy one Wacom and one of the "lower priced spread" and compare the functionality in your very personal environment. Then you decide.

As an aside, I've never tried editing with my tablet because I've had great success with a Logitech trackball system. If I could use a good touch screen system that offers great precision and accuracy, I'd be over the moon.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Tripp,

Thanks for your reply. Turns out my friend may want to sell the one he has, so I may pick it up. I will need to try it first so I'll have to find a retailer. I think Fry's might retail them.

I'd suggest you also give them a shot if you're that excited by the possibilities. Wacoms are used for drawing, so I have the feeling they are very accurate. Also my friend swears by his, but he now wants the mini so he can put it in his lap.
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:04 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Horwitz View Post
Turns out my friend may want to sell the one he has, so I may pick it up.
If you do get one, I'd be interested in a review after you've used it for a while.

With the economy the way it is, I'm locking down capital spending until I get some more business coming in.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #5
Trustee

Does a tablet pc work the same way?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC