DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   To Format or not to Format... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/13876-format-not-format.html)

Stelios Christofides August 29th, 2003 11:12 AM

To Format or not to Format...

Hi

I have been using Windows XP pro for about 10 months now. Everything seems to be working OK. I just wonder, weather I should reformat my C: drive again with a clean installation of XP pro.
I know the say " if it's not btoken don't fix it" but I just want to know how often you guys re format your pc.

Stelios

Edward Troxel August 29th, 2003 11:34 AM

If you keep a clean system, there should be no need for reformatting. However, if you want to be able to go back to an ideal setting, do the following:

1) Do a clean format and install of the OS and all appropriate drivers.
2) Create an image of the drive with Drive Image or Ghost.

NOW, you can always return to this state in a matter of minutes.

3) Install the necessary applications.
4) Create another image.

If you want to get back to an initial clean installation of all apps, just restore from this image. This would be MUCH faster than doing a full install periodically.

Glen Elliott August 29th, 2003 03:13 PM

When I was on 98SE I had to do it once every 6-8 months or so. The system just got bogged down from digital trash in the registry, etc. Now that I've been using XP I'm going over a year now and with a little diligence in keeping it tidy it still seems fresh.

Arnaldo Paixao September 3rd, 2003 04:13 AM

Safety net.

If you want to be on the safe side, configure your machine with dual boot.
My main machine has 2 Windows XP Pro instaled (with the same programs) and if one is messed up, I can reboot, choose the other XP and continue working until I have the time to repair/reinstall the damaged one.

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Stelios Christofides September 3rd, 2003 11:21 AM

"If you want to get back to an initial clean installation of all apps, just restore from this image. This would be MUCH faster than doing a full install periodically."

Edward Troxel, Why can't I use System Restore instead of the Drive Image thing. What's the difference?

Stelios

Nick Medrano September 3rd, 2003 01:08 PM

Nowadays there is so much spyware out there on the net that you just have to format at least once every couple of months. Alot of this spyware affects your registry and boot times....so I'd say format if you surf the internet alot.

Edward Troxel September 3rd, 2003 01:41 PM

Restoring from an image will return it to the EXACT state it was when the image was created. None of the extra bloat will be present. I'm not sure that System Restore covers ALL files. However, I'd rather have System Retore turned off and rely on my image thereby saving me hard drive space.

As for spyware - that's the reason my editing computers never see the internet. I don't have to worry about spyware. However, if something did get there, a quick restore from my image and it would be gone!

Nick Medrano September 3rd, 2003 01:59 PM

Good idea Edward. I'm concerned about the amount of space that a restore point takes. Isn't it like half a gig?

Edward Troxel September 3rd, 2003 02:04 PM

You can adjust the System Restore size larger or smaller depending on how much you want kept at any particular time. More space = more days worth.

Arnaldo Paixao September 4th, 2003 02:05 AM

Believe me, don't bet your life on system restore. It works; but only sometimes.