Thought Bubbles in Pinnacle 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Thought Bubbles in Pinnacle 12

Please help!

I want to create some thought bubbles in my video, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Any suggestions (please be detailed as I'm a complete novice at all things video)?

Thanks
Brad Antin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Trustee

There are many ways to do it. Perhaps one of the better ways would be in After Effects. Using a null object and motion tracking you can have the balloon move with the subject. The "cheap and cheerful" way to do it is just bring a still graphic with an alpha channel into your NLE and composite it on your video layer.

If you have After Effects, you might want to check out After Effects Basic Training. You can learn a lot by spending some quality time with these excellent tutorials.

If you're willing to spend a little money, the training at lynda.com will let you ramp up quickly. If you're serious about learning, this will be money well spent.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the suggestion.

I already figured out that I could take a frame from the video, bring it into Photoshop, add my thought bubble, save as a still, and add it to the video.

That works, but everytime I want to show a thought bubble, the entire frame is frozen (naturally, because it's actually a still frame).

That would probably work, but certainly not as well as if I could somehow create the thought bubble and put it on the overlay/title track so only the thought bubble is static and it plays on top of the main video.

So, now the question is, if I create a .bmp file with a transparent background for my thought bubble, will the background still be transparent when I bring it into Studio? Or will it revert to a white background?
Brad Antin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #4
Trustee

I can't help you with the mechanics since I'm not familiar with Pinnacle. That said, if the overlay track is truly an overlay track, you should be able to drop the bubble in there and let the video continue to play at the same time.

You might want to check your documentation to see how best do this. It might also give you some guidelines as to what image format would work best for the bubble. I don't actually know why, but I tend to favor TIFF images over BMPs.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC