Need quick help .wmv file at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 10th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Major Player

Need quick help .wmv file

I never use a native .wmv file so I have no idea the best practice here.
This is for a very good friend in my past. She found out that I could edit video and asked me to help her out.

This is for a Christmas gift and the video clip needs to be used for something.
All I had to do was trim the clip and remove the audio. I am using Adobe Premire Pro but I really think that the software is the issue.

When I render the final file I am getting a very poor image. The file is native 320x240 and I understand this is not a good thing. However, I don't think the drop off should be this much.

The final version does not have to be .mwv it can be others. But I just get a similar image after the trim.

What are your suggestions? What Codec is best for this. I always use a .avi or if I need a good compression I use .mp4. Neither of these are giving me what I need though.
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Inner Circle

When playing the original file using Windows Media Player, press Alt + F3 to blow up the video to double size - that's about the quality you will get if you export as DV-AVI. It also depends on the bitrate; if the original is some sort of internet video, don't expect much.

Once it's been downsized/compressed, quality is all gone!
Old December 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM   #3
Trustee

If you have Quicktime Pro (on a mac, you'll need flip4mac also) you might try setting your in and out points on the playback window, select export movie to quicktime movie, select Broadband High as your output, select H.264 codec, best quality, multipass encoding, and click off on the sound settings to eliminate the audio if that's what you wanted. I have recently had to recode a 320x240 wmv file in this way and it looked pretty good....Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC