DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Getting rid of Windows Media Player 9 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/14046-getting-rid-windows-media-player-9-a.html)

Fred Haber September 2nd, 2003 02:17 PM

Getting rid of Windows Media Player 9

How the heck do you get rid of Windows Media Player 9? It is causing me all kinds of problems. Thanks all.

Andres Lucero September 2nd, 2003 02:33 PM

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components

Fred Haber September 3rd, 2003 12:52 AM

Media player 9

Thanks for the reply Andres. There is no unstall for the Media player 9 and that's the problem. It goes deep into the operating system and causes other programs not to run well or not at all. Need to get rid of this thing without a complete reinstall of windows, I hope.

Arnaldo Paixao September 3rd, 2003 03:08 AM

If you'r using XP try system restore.

Best regards,
Arnaldo

Kurt Kober September 3rd, 2003 12:02 PM

Just out of curiosity, what kinds of problems?

Jan Roovers September 3rd, 2003 12:13 PM

Maybe deleting mediaplayer as a component of Windows will help?
And then reinstalling the wished version.

Peter Moore September 3rd, 2003 12:15 PM

It should uninstall under the normal Add/Remove Programs function, or the Windows Components function. Don't delete the exe file though, that will cause a lot of problems. Try reinstalling it from scratch.

Imran Zaidi September 3rd, 2003 12:28 PM

Yes, sometimes when having trouble with MS software, just attempting to install it again will often repair the old install. Give it a shot.

Brian M. Dickman September 4th, 2003 11:12 AM

Windows Media Player 9 "cannot be uninstalled", thank you very much Microsoft.

Could you specifically list the problems you're having? Hopefully there are workarounds without having to reinstall the whole OS.

Glen Elliott September 4th, 2003 11:33 AM

I've, also, heard of other people having nothing but problems with Windows Media Player 9...thus the reason I've avoided upgrading to it. I would like to hear what kind of problems people are having with it as well!

Imran Zaidi September 4th, 2003 11:54 AM

Just for the record (not trying to defend MS) I've installed it on 10-15 machines and encountered no related problems over long term use. Not saying others aren't - just my own experience with WM9.

Jan Roovers September 4th, 2003 12:53 PM

Have WinMediaplayer9 installed and the encoder. I love both!
Never had a problem.

Barry Gilbert September 4th, 2003 01:29 PM

Just a thought but I think the new media player is part of an up date from MS. I didn't install it, it came in on one of the updates I did durning all the worms the other week. I would think if you uninstalled the "hot patch" associated with it, it may put it back to the old player. I haven't looked into it but it may work.

Fred Haber September 4th, 2003 02:30 PM

WMP 9

Thanks, Arnaldo & Kurt for your reply.
I have windows ME. After updating to WMP9 my old avi,s will not play. It is looking for OxCOOD1199, a known bug with Microsoft. Some of my other burner programs will not work now because the system looks at WMP9. There is no unstall with the update. When I tried to backup some files it saved them as WMP 9 files instead of original. Still trying to find that codec from Microsoft.
Anyway, thanks for the reply, (I will have to reinstall ME to get back to the old version. Not what I want to do but just too many problems with this player.
Oh, try finding help from Microsoft "Smile", you need lots of time and patience.

Glen Elliott September 4th, 2003 04:21 PM

I think it might be the coorelation between ME and WMP9. ME is notoriously the buggiest OS microsoft has ever produced!