File conversion for use with Pinnacle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 1st, 2009, 09:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

File conversion for use with Pinnacle

Hi. I need to convert captured .m2t files to .m2v & the associated .wav audio files so I can use Pinnacle 12 to edit (my preffered NLE). I have Vegas but I prefer Pinnacle and need to be able to use either. I use a Canon XHA1 and shoot HD so I don't want to lose any quality. As I understand it, both .m2t and .m2v are mpeg wrappers so I think I just need to de-multiplex the files.
Or, is there a file export option in Vegas that does the same job?
Any thoughts or suggestions please?
Many thanks,
Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:18 PM   #2
Trustee

I have seen this program recommended:
AVCHD M2T Converter-convert m2t to avi, m2v and more formats

no personal experience with it, I must admit. You might see if MpegStreamclip (freeware from Squared5.com, an excellent program for many kinds of mpeg conversons) will do the job, I don't have any .m2t files to work with or I'd check .... Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Trustee

Another thought, maybe you could capture your XHa1 files in a different format that you can convert more easily? We use XHa1's and capture to Final Cut Pro from Sony decks, so our captured clips are .mov files.

I'm assuming the file structure is a function of your capture program, rather than the camera (which creates, as I understand, an mpeg file of some kind on the tape) but the output from the camera or deck will be captured as whatever file your nle makes in processing it. Maybe you have an alternative capture format in your nle?

I played with Pinnacle Ultimate 11 once, and did capture directly from the XHa1 at that time with no problem. The program, however, was so treacherously unstable that I abandoned it in favor of Premiere Pro, fwiw. /B Vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Major Player

Oliver,

Looking at the Pinnacle support pages, they have a Version 12 Update Patch page here:

Pinnacle Systems - Product Support - Pinnacle Studio Ultimate version 12 - Download Area - Drivers - Updates - Pinnacle Studio 12.1 Release Update for Pinnacle Studio version 12.0 users

It lists improved m2t file support among its improvements to the Studio 12 package.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Thanks guys for your help. Knew I'd find the answers here somehow!
Cheers, Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #6
Major Player

So....which solution worked for you, Oliver?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks!

Updating Pinnacle to accept the .m2t seems to have worked a treat. Even more of a treat, having ploughed through the thread on this forum about it, I have ordered a Sony HVR-MRC1 (which stores HDV as .m2t) which also explains my original question a bit as I now know I can edit away with a simplified workflow.
Cheers, and thanks for all your help,
Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC