Software or hardware based ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 4th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Software or hardware based ?

Hi everybody

I have been out of the NLE circuit for a few years now, I still have my DPS Perception in storage, wich was the card I used to work with.

now computers have gotten faster, that it seems we dotn need dedicated hardware anymore ?? (for dv editing)

I see Vegas for a software only platform is an excellent contender .. but how is the quality of a software only solution ? is there any loss of resolution ?

on the hardare side, I would not even know where to start .. what can you guys/gals recommend on a card for dv editing / 3d animation playback with good quality that wont cost an arm and a leg.
Old September 4th, 2003, 10:31 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Quality wise, you lose NOTHING by going software only. In fact, the Vegas codec is regarded as one of the best around. The ONLY thing hardware will get you is faster rendering time (and faster CPUs are reducing that margin all the time).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2003, 09:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

What about video output for previews or simply to record to a non DV deck ?
Old September 5th, 2003, 11:00 PM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

Software only does a decent job (using Vegas from experience) of previewing. As effects get more complex, framerate drops to compensate. As for output, that is NO problem but you DO have to render first.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC