DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   How to import photos from XL-1 into Photoshop 6? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/1441-how-import-photos-xl-1-into-photoshop-6-a.html)

lanceandjill March 28th, 2002 09:10 AM

How to import photos from XL-1 into Photoshop 6?

I just got Photoshop 6 and would like to download digital photos from my XL-1. I have a fire wire and have been able to get videos off the camera into the computer to make movies in EditDV. Can someone please help me with the photos? Thanks,

Lance

John Crowe March 28th, 2002 11:19 AM

somewhere in your editing software, you should have something like "save to still" or "frame grab"...this should allow you to capture the still u want...then just open it in photoshop...need anymore help please let me know

Bill Ravens March 28th, 2002 11:48 AM

Try Scenalyzer Live for capturing. It has a real nice still image feature to extract .bmp's from your video stream, whether it's during capture or playback.

Their website is at:
http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html

Ed Smith March 29th, 2002 01:22 PM

If you have premiere, click file> capture movie> stop motion. Hay presto you are able to capture still images. As John said you then have to load it up in photoshop and you can edit your image.

Hope this helps,

Ed Smith

Edward Troxel April 1st, 2002 03:40 PM

In EditDV, Move the to frame that you want exported. Set the start point there (looks like a solid black "[". Then choose File - Export to File, change the export type to BMP and choose your location and file name. Then you and open the BMP file in Photoshop.

There is also a companion product to EditDV called PhotoDV. This program works as a plug-in to Photoshop and will allow moving through the tape to the precise frame you desire. Once on that frame, just click on the capture button and that frame will be captured into Photoshop.

Nathan Gifford April 1st, 2002 04:44 PM

I believe you must start PhotoDV from EditDV.

You can, of course, export a single frame from EditDV. Most users choose to do it this way, especially if you are going to use Photoshop.

Its has been awhile since I have used PhotoDV, but as I recall you must start PhotoDV from EditDV.

Nathan Gifford

lanceandjill April 1st, 2002 07:34 PM

Re: I believe you must start PhotoDV from EditDV.

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathan01 : You can, of course, export a single frame from EditDV. Most users choose to do it this way, especially if you are going to use Photoshop.

Its has been awhile since I have used PhotoDV, but as I recall you must start PhotoDV from EditDV.

Nathan Gifford -->>>

Thanks to all who have tried to help us. But we can not find anything under the options under file that allows us to export just a single frame from EditDV. How do we do this? All there is reads "Export program movie" and this generates a file that Photoshop can't open.

Can't understand anything about Scenalyzer and how to download or capture photos from a Canon XL-1. Keep getting the "check camera/VCR error code."

Any advice in simple step by step language would be greatly appreciated.

Lance

Nathan Gifford April 2nd, 2002 07:37 AM

I will try looking into tonight, HOWEVER...

Head over to www.discreet.com and join the cinestream user group. You will get your best advice there. Best people in the group are Claire Watson, Ron Bridegroom, Doc Del and several others.

There is also a knowledge base, that has some info on PhotoDV.

Like I said I won't have time until latetonight to go digging in there, but what you create is a single frame movie, then export and pick a format to save as that is recognized by Photoshop. The best to use are .jpg and .tif.

If that works, post a note here so I don't have to blow out the cobwebs on this problem.

Nathan Gifford

Edward Troxel April 2nd, 2002 11:41 AM

To export a single frame, you have to set the start point to the frame you want exported by moving along the timeline to the frame you want and then clicking on the "[" button.

Then, from the file menu, select Export Program Movie which will pop up a dialog box. In this dialog box, change the "Export" drop down box to "Movie to BMP". Enter a name and click on save and you will get a bitmap of the single selected frame.

Nathan, PhotoDV works directly from Photoshop. EditDV is not even required to be able to use it. They are two distinct products.

Nathan Gifford April 2nd, 2002 04:58 PM

That's true.

Yep. PhotoDV is separate from EditDV. It has been awhile since I have run PhotoDV in an EditDV system, but under CS3 (the next incarnation of EditDV) you must start PhotoDV from CS3 for it to work right (I wonder if there are differences between Lynx and OHCI equipped systems???). I could not remember if it could be invoked by itself under EDV2 or not.

I also had forgotten that you can pull it directly in PhotoShop. If I recall, that is a "select source" targets.

The best method is still Ed's method of using a single frame from EditDV. I never could find anything I liked about PhotoDV, unless you did not have PhotoShop!!! PS gives you so much better control why use anything else?

One other thing...do not expect stunning image quality. The best you can do is whatever you can get from NTSC or PAL. You can certainly improve the image a lot, but it still won't beat a good still camera.

Nathan Gifford

Edward Troxel April 3rd, 2002 08:06 AM

Actually, I just rebuilt my editing system from scratch over the last few months starting with Win2K, Cinestream (now 3.1), and an OHCI card. PhotoDV has nothing to do with Cinestream just as it had nothing to do with EditDV.

Within the past week I have just managed to get PhotoDV to work again - using the OHCI card. To do this, you have to install PhotoDV and then install a patch "ohci-3037-fix.exe" to get it to work with the OHCI card. I wanted to get it working because I really missed it.

Here is my current working method. If I have video captured for editing in Cinestream, I will export stills from Cinestream. If I simply want to capture a still from a tape that has NOT been captured, I can use PhotoDV to move to the desired frame, and capture that one frame with the click of a button. To do this last task with Cinestream, I have to capture a seconds worth of video, find the frame again, and then export the selected frame. I have found it is easier for non-captured footage to use PhotoDV.

There IS one other difference between using PhotoDV and Cinestream. When I export from Cinestream, I get a small black line down the left and right edges. In PhotoDV, I get a slightly smaller picture and the black lines are not in the captured image.