DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Core i7 vs. Server CPU (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/145785-core-i7-vs-server-cpu.html)

Brit Mansell March 14th, 2009 05:30 AM

Core i7 vs. Server CPU

I'm trying to spec out a new video editing system.

I capture HD from a Xh-A1 and a few HV30's and work solely in Adobe CS4.

Currently, I'm on an AMD Quad Core 2 Quad (Q6600) with 4GB on Vista 64. This doesn't seem to be getting the job done once I lay several pieces of video on top of each other in an Adobe Premiere timeline. It also crawls to a halt when I open a DVD composition in Encore. In this profession, time is money and my current configuration is not helping.

According to PassMark (PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End), the server processors are still turning many more cycles than the best desktop processors, but I don't know enough about the differences to know if the server processors will work well with Adobe CS4. I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on that. I want to edit and render on the same machine.

Here is the desktop system I'm looking at building: NewEgg Link

David Chilson March 18th, 2009 07:19 AM

Brit,

A few things about your picks. I too went with an SSD for a systems drive but used the OCZ vertex 250 GB drive. 128 might be too small, check your current used disc space and see that it will be enough.

The 1.5TB single drive you have listed I am assuming you are going to use as a scratch drive for media. This could be a weak link in your system. You will lose a lot of the speed of the SSD by not using a raid. I checked your motherboard choice and it does support raid 0 and that is what I would suggest. Two 500 GB drives in raid 0 would be a much better choice and if you want an even faster raid, get two 300 GB 10K velociraptor drives, that combo screams and makes the best use of the SSD without going to a two SSD raid 0. Now that would be interesting.......

Quite a few people use 1TB or more in their raid, but having important information on there long term should be a no no. Raid is fast but not the most secure for long term storage. Personally, after I complete a project I back it up on another drive (I use a Thermaltake Black X that has sata and usb ports, and store the drives in iStar drawers, Newegg Item# N82E16817991004,) and burn a master on Blu ray. Now I have three copies (including the original tape) and have freed up the room on my raid.

I would go from six to twelve GB on memory, and buy a 12 GB kit not two sixes. Check my recent posts, we have discussed that in length.

If you need to save a little cash to help offset these changes, go with the 940 I7. There are a lot of forums where this has been easily overclocked to standard 965 speeds. Spending your money on the raid and updated memory would make for a better editing experience, IMHO.

As far as server vs desktop processors, I don't know enough to comment.

Hope this helps

Brit Mansell March 18th, 2009 07:54 AM

David, thank you very much for the detailed reply. I appreciate it greatly.

I'm going to read over your suggestions for a little while and post back any questions.

I chose the 128GB SSD because I do most of my design work on a Sony VAIO Z laptop (http://britmansell.com/productivity/...ove-thee/)that has a 128GB SSD drive. It's perfect for that, but I hadn't thought about the scratch discs running on the SSD. I'm sure that would be a huge benefit.

I agree with your RAID comments. I do have an external 1TB drive to which I backup all completed projects, so storage is not a big issue, and buying more TB drives at the current prices is not a problem. I'm going to pass on the Velicoraptor drives, though. Too pricey for my budget, but you're right, they would be great, I'm sure.

I haven't seen the HD drawers you referenced. That's very cool. I may have to do that when I exceed the one external drive.

I will probably update my NewEgg wish list with your suggestions and post it back for feedback.

Thanks again.

Brit Mansell March 18th, 2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chilson (Post 1029616)
I would go from six to twelve GB on memory, and buy a 12 GB kit not two sixes. Check my recent posts, we have discussed that in length.

David, I didn't see where you mentioned actually buying the 12GB memory kit. Did you find a good place to buy it? Most of the places I see it listed are out of stock or shady looking.

David Chilson March 18th, 2009 01:28 PM

Brit,

The 12 GB 1333 kit is available now at newegg:

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I talked with Corsair on the 1600 kit and they said it will be available any day, two days ago, which is the one I am waiting for. I'm on the waiting list at two places. If you want the 1600 I would be glad to give you a heads up when it becomes available. Right after I get mine of course! :) (It's about $100 bucks more.)

Dave

Brit Mansell March 18th, 2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chilson (Post 1029831)
I would be glad to give you a heads up when it becomes available.

Absolutely. Thanks.

Jim Bigg March 18th, 2009 02:48 PM

system and scratch drives

[QUOTE=David Chilson;1029616]Brit,

.... You will lose a lot of the speed of the SSD by not using a raid. I checked your motherboard choice and it does support raid 0 and that is what I would suggest. Two 500 GB drives in raid 0 would be a much better choice and if you want an even faster raid, get two 300 GB 10K velociraptor drives, that combo screams and makes the best use of the SSD without going to a two SSD raid 0. Now that would be interesting.......

David,

I read your comment wsith interest. I am currently trying to configure a desktop for use primarily to edit avchd footage from a Sony sr 8. I would like to burn BluRay with menus eventually, just as I have done with SD work.

I am unclear on where software belongs in a 3 drive set-up. I am thinking of a 1 Tb 7200 for my system drive and a raid 0 arrangement using 2 128 gig ssd's. Where would the NLE and uthoring softwazre be placed and how do I effectively use such a set up?

Jim Bigg

Jim Bigg March 18th, 2009 03:06 PM

comments please

Here's what I'm thinking of building. I've changed my system drive pick since last post. I would appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. Main use = AVCHD editing and then rendering to BluRay or avchd on DL . . .

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366

MOTHERBOARD: EVGA X58 3X SLI Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA, Dual GbLAN, USB2.0, Dual IEEE1394& 7.1Audio

MEMORY: 12GB (2GBx6) DDR3/1600MHz Triple Channel Memory Module

VIDEO CARD: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB DDR5 PCI-Express Dual DVI-I & TVO

HARD DRIVE: Single Hard Drive (150GB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10, 000RPM SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache WD1500HLFS)

DATA HARD DRIVE: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (256GB (128GBx2) Ritek RiDATA 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk HARD DRIVE COOLING

Optical Drive: LG GGW-H20L 6X INTERNAL SUPER MULTI BLUE BLU-RAY DISC REWRITER & HD DVD-ROM DRIVE

Optical Drive 2: LG GGC-H20L BLU-RAY/HD-DVD Reader / DVD±R/±RW Writer (Black Color)

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (64-bit Edition)

Brit Mansell March 18th, 2009 03:27 PM

How much does the video card come into play for video production? I always assumed a high end video card was mostly for gaming.

I chose this one (Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards) mainly because I saw it recommended on another build up.

Jim, I see where you're using a 2GB video card. Is that much video memory necessary or are you just making sure it doesn't become a bottle neck?

Ken Steadman March 18th, 2009 04:32 PM

Brit -
I built a similar system in January with a 4850X2 2GB and I wish I had spent the money on a Nvidia instead seems more NLEs play nice with nvidia than ATIs

Brit Mansell March 19th, 2009 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Steadman (Post 1029921)
Brit -
I built a similar system in January with a 4850X2 2GB and I wish I had spent the money on a Nvidia instead seems more NLEs play nice with nvidia than ATIs

That's good to know. Thanks, Ken.

Jim Bigg March 19th, 2009 07:38 AM

vid card

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brit Mansell (Post 1029898)
Jim, I see where you're using a 2GB video card. Is that much video memory necessary or are you just making sure it doesn't become a bottle neck?

Brit

I'm buying the vid card mem hoping the software folks (NLEs) will grow into the hardware in the future. After further research, I'm wondering if the NVIDIA gtx 295 might be better. Some NLE's say they are programmed to use nividia, others ati. It's all very blurred. No straight answers from any source so far.

Jim

Brit Mansell March 19th, 2009 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Bigg (Post 1030154)
Brit

I'm buying the vid card mem hoping the software folks (NLEs) will grow into the hardware in the future. After further research, I'm wondering if the NVIDIA gtx 295 might be better. Some NLE's say they are programmed to use nividia, others ati. It's all very blurred. No straight answers from any source so far.

Jim

Wow, that's a nice looking card. Pricey, but nice. Thanks.

Jim Bigg March 19th, 2009 07:48 AM

dual monitor

Brit -

I also want dual monitor support. ATI had 2 DVI and with dongle can also deliver hdmi playback to 1080 tv/monitor

Jim

Brit Mansell March 19th, 2009 07:56 AM

This looks like a decent price on the GTX 295: SuperBiiz.com - MSI nVidia GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 2DVI/HDMI PCI-Express Video Card. It also has dual DVI and HDMI.

Man, that thing is huge.