DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Split Scene By Timecode/Scene on AVI (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/146203-split-scene-timecode-scene-avi.html)

Scott Thibodeau March 19th, 2009 05:23 PM

Split Scene By Timecode/Scene on AVI

Back in the day, when I was even more of a newb that I am now, a friend of mine transfered a bunch of DV tapes to DVD's for me. Problem is, he didn't separate them by timecode. Now I have these monster files with 20 to 30 scenes each and I'm looking for some software (read as freeware) that will split these huge files into workable scenes. I can still import the huge files and work with them but it's a nightmare. I use Premiere and though it might do it but can't seem to find any love there. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scott

Howard Churgin March 20th, 2009 04:33 AM

I think all programs use breaks in timecode to split scenes. You could use a batch capture and set the in and out points of each clip. Then when you are done select the batch capture file and the capturing and splitting will be done automatically while you do something else.(like sleep or watch the NCAA Tournament) Naturally the batch capture set up will be more time consuming but it will make dealing with smaller clips more manageable and editing that much easier.

just my thoughts.

Ervin Farkas March 20th, 2009 07:23 AM

Ummm... you're editing... what? MPEG2? That's waaay too compressed!

Go back and capture those tapes again, it's going to give you two things: much higher quality video, AND scene split.

Adam Gold March 20th, 2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howard Churgin (Post 1030662)
I think all programs use breaks in timecode to split scenes.

Actually, it's Date/Timestamp data, not timecode. Timecode is always continuous unless you have a cam that does free run TC (or an inadvertent timecode break on your tape). And that's only for DV, as is the case here. But for HDV, the few programs that can scene split do it by content, retroactively (Like Premiere Elements but not Pro). Not sure how HDVSplit does it but I'd guess it's the same.

Scott Thibodeau March 20th, 2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 1030710)
Ummm... you're editing... what? MPEG2? That's waaay too compressed!

Go back and capture those tapes again, it's going to give you two things: much higher quality video, AND scene split.

The problem is I don't have those tapes anymore, just the one big AVI. DVMP Pro does this but the program is $40 and being out of work at the moment is not something I want to shell out for as I'm only going to use it once.

Ervin Farkas March 20th, 2009 01:17 PM

Now I'm really confused... do you have DVDs or AVI files?

Scott Thibodeau March 20th, 2009 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 1030868)
Now I'm really confused... do you have DVDs or AVI files?

I have an AVI file that has about 30 scenes in it. I want to split that AVI into seperate scenes for editing but I think I can work with just the one big file. It would just make things more organized if I separate files to import into Premiere as opposed to one large file.

Ervin Farkas March 20th, 2009 01:27 PM

Try these:

Home of AVCutty

DVdate

Scott Thibodeau March 20th, 2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ervin Farkas (Post 1030876)

Thanks a million. AVCutty worked perfectly AND I can send the dude a donation I can afford.