Capture HDMI on a laptop? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #16
Trustee

In addition to Bill's very valid remarks, you have to keep in mind that to gain from HDMI's output, you need at least 200 MB/s sustained transfer rate which is not possible on a laptop.

HDMI is a poor man's substitute for HD-SDI
Harm Millaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #17
Trustee

That is not true at all. There are many formats that you can capture to that are not as large as uncompressed. On the Apple side there is Prores and on the PC side I believe the Matrox products will capture I frame only mpeg2 based video up to 300 mbits/s (bits not bytes) into a AVI wrapper. Sure it isn't uncompressed but some of these formats can beat the pants off of even HDCAM and offer an excellent trade off between ultra high quality and manageable datarates. I always see people instantly assume a HD-SDI, SDI or HDMI capture device has to capture uncompressed and that is just not true at all.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #18
Regular Crew

You can use AJA Io Express:
Io Express - AJA Video - Serial Digital Video Interface and Conversion
Patrik Vale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC