Capture HDMI on a laptop? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture HDMI on a laptop?

I know there are HDMI capture cards for desktops/workstations like the Blackmagic and AJA products, but I can't seem to find anything in an ExpressCard format. Does anyone know of a way to capture the HDMI stream from the camcorder directly to a laptop?
Old March 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

Matrox MXO2 will do it - plus whole lot more

Videoguys Blog - Videoguys' FAQ: Matrox MXO2

Gary
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What about a pc not a Mac???
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks, Gary. I should have mentioned I'm on a PC workflow. Matrox makes a good product; in fact I have an RT.X2 in my workstation. I'm interested in a portable full-HD capture solution, and since I already have a Dell m6300 laptop with 500GB internal HDD, an ExpressCard-to-HDMI adapter would be ideal for me. I just thought it was a little strange that no one makes such a device, considering that there are ExpressCard adapters for just about every other type of connection.
Old April 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

So that's it, then? There are no ExpressCard-HDMI capture solutions for Windows-based laptops? That seems like it would be a very useful device for quick edits in the field, etc. especially with so many HD cams with HDMI out...
Old April 5th, 2009, 11:52 AM   #6

That's it ..... for now ....... NAB in a couple of weeks ;-)

Gary
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:55 AM   #7
Trustee

Hey Jack it seems we own the same workstation;you have 500 gb Hard disk on your Precision?
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 05:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

It seems that a very clever and inventive guy made a DIY solution to my question! Now if only Blackmagic would make an ExpressCard version of the Intensity to avoid the backpack full of batteries & wires...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/tapeless-...-tutorial.html

Marcus, I added the 500GB drive myself.
Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST9500420AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #9

Matrox MXO2 Mini with PC Drivers will be shipping this May!
Mac Drivers will be available for download 2-weeks later.

Don’t settle for an HDMI and analog I/O card with messy cables when you can get all the features and more in a professional breakout box with Matrox MXO2 Mini. This sleek little device for Mac and PC also gives you the added advantage of portability. You can take it with you wherever you go. Use it with a laptop or a desktop system and your favorite applications including Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro and Photoshop, and many more. Capture and playback high definition video via HDMI and analog component; or NTSC and PAL via analog component, S-Video, and composite. Convert your standard definition videos to high definition, or vice versa, while capturing or playing out, using Matrox MXO2 Mini’s high-quality dedicated hardware. Turn your HDMI screen into a professional-grade video monitor with Matrox’s unique color calibration tool. Easily edit AVCHD footage by capturing into an edit-friendly compressed or uncompressed format. Count on uncompromising Matrox quality and reliability in MXO2 Mini, backed by a three-year warranty.

Affordable high definition HDMI and analog I/O for Mac and PC Videoguys.com - Matrox MXO2 Mini Laptop Kit with ExpressCard Adapter

Matrox MXO2 Mini BackMatrox MXO2 Mini is also available with Matrox MAX technology for faster than realtime high definition H.264 file creation.

Now accepting pre-0rders

Gary
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Yes, the MXO2 Mini definitely got my attention. I'll most likely get one. I do have a few unanswered questions even after reading the data sheets over at Matrox.com.

1) I've been editing SD and HDV with an RT.X2, and I love the realtime effects previews and accelerated encoding. However, the RT.X2 only does HDV 1440x1080, so if I get full 1920x1080 from the MXO2 Mini, my RT.X2 is no longer functional in my workflow. Does the Mini offer realtime playback, especially with color correction, and does it accelerate encoding of anything other than H.264?

2) If the answer to #1 is no, then does the Mini work with Prospect HD?
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #11

mxo2 mini does support full HD. It does not work with rt.x2 and it does not offer any real-time performance. the mini max adds the H.264 accelerated encoding.

We have the folks at cineform and Matrox checking it out and working on making their products work together.

Gary
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the info, Gary. Since I haven't bought the HD cams yet (I need a few months to save the $$), I guess I'll just wait & see if the MXO2 Mini and Prospect HD will work & play well with each other. If they do, I guess I'll just sell the RT.X2 since it sounds like it won't be of any use to me at that point, right?
Old May 11th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Gary, Over at the Matrox site it was posted that the mini will not work off of battery power.... can this be right... don't sound right to me...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 04:20 AM   #14
Tourist

HDMI capture

I have a Canon HF200. If I record to my SDHC card and PLAYBACK through the HDMI cable to a product such as Blackmagic, am I going to gain resolution/befits the same as outputting via component is better than composite?

It is my understanding that by using the HDMI output cable that you get higher bandwidth and better resolution and this can be used during playback for post-production.

If I had a scope, I could measure the output of component vs HDMI output but I dont have teh Blackmagic suite to do it with.

Can anyone help?
Keith Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM   #15
Major Player

Sorry Keith, you are not going to get what you seek.

The whole point of play out through HDMI is to capture the uncompressed video signal from the imaging chip BEFORE it has been run through the cameras codec, be that HDV, AVCHD, or anything else. This is why all these folks are doing the capture at the time of the shoot, not after.

Doing what you propose, you are in effect taking the compressed signal, decompressing it and playing it out through HDMI, and hoping this will somehow be the same as the original uncompressed video signal. No go, and no point in doing it.

You're better off importing the footage per the camera manufacturer's (Canon) directions. It will be faster and minus another level of compression.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC