computer power supply - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 21st, 2003, 10:40 PM   #16
Major Player

Here I found a good educational article from Antec which explains many things.

www.antec-inc.com/info_DIYArticle1.html#
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2003, 10:34 AM   #17
Trustee

underpowering your computer will kill components. if presented with a choice go with as much as you can afford. it's just like audio. you can never have enough power.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 12:15 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll get the 550w beast. It'll also be prepare for any future additions.
Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:12 PM   #19
Regular Crew

If you want to go all out and get the top of the line may I suggest
checking out this site

http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/products/power_supplies/index.htm

These are rock solid super stable PSs. I have checked all of the outputs with my scope and have found them to to be some of the Most clean and solid around....Not just for PC powering mind you.
I actually use a couple of these for my 1/32 Slot Car track. Those high wind DC motors require absolutely clean power to perform the best.

In all of my most important system I use PC power and cooling. For the not so critical stuff I use Antec. Which is almost as good.

For your needs you wont really need the PC PnC supplys but hey its nice to look at the topend. You know to get a basis for comparison

Hope this is of use,
Old September 22nd, 2003, 09:37 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Charles-
If you do go with the 550w, make sure you have enough capability to get the heat out of your case. Those suckers can really get hot. I'd suggest getting a couple sealth fans, they are quiet and move lots of air.

-Kay

http://www.curtkay.com
I WILL not be held down.
Curt Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 01:31 AM   #21
Major Player

Good points guys. Thanks for the continious tips.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 08:56 AM   #22
Wrangler

The power supply does not force its cooling air into the case, it vents directly to the outside. The case of my 550 watt ps doesn't contribute to case heat as it doesn't get warm.

Still, today's setups just about demand fans on the disks, the PCI & AGP boards and one on the memory too.

I have 11 fans in my main editing computer case to keep the 11 drives and all the other stuff cool.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 10:08 AM   #23
Trustee

as mike pointed out don't go with less on the fans. the most important about stability and heat management of computers is airflow. you must be able to trace which fans are sucking then follow the airflow and trace how it is vented and by which fans. if you're path stops dead center of the case (ie no fans in the back) then you WILL be garaunteed problems with your computer. you MUST have a nice airflow. it's far far more important than anything else in your computing experience.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:15 AM   #24
Major Player

Jeez, how many fans do you need to cool the heat generated by all those fan motors?

And disk drive fans are a new animal I've seen around. Man!

I know it's been a few years since I've designed motherboards (from scratch) for medical computers, SGI and others but things have not changed that drastically.

I have three fans for my 3ghz AMD machine. One on the gpu because it came with it, one on the cpu and one in the power supply. Been running fine and below temps for a year now.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2003, 09:51 PM   #25
Trustee

a LOT of fans =D:

http://www.fongunlimited.com/htpc/fansgalore.jpg
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:25 AM   #26
Wrangler

Six of the drives are Seagate Barracudas, the SCSI type. They get fairly hot. The others are a mixed bag of WD drives.

Drive life is inversely proportional to the operating temperature at which they run (to a point). So if I cool one, why not cool them all?

The computer case is one of those large cubes with enough space for 2 power supplies and thirteen drives.

Some of the SCSI drives are as old as the case and the editing system (A Canopus DVRexRT that is 5 years old this year) and are still going strong.

All of the SCSI drives can be replaced with a single 250 gig drive which is something I'll do today (and tomorrow and the next day considering how much data has to be moved).

This case doesn't use the little drive fans, it has space in front of all the drives for standard 100 mm fans.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC