computer power supply at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old September 19th, 2003, 07:19 PM   #1
Major Player

computer power supply

I'm wondering what is an ample amount for a computer used for video editing? There are 350, 400 and 550 watts power supply. I was thinking of getting the 550w but wonder if it will be an overkill.
When would I need 550watts in the first place?
Old September 19th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #2
High School Student

How many HDD's are you using, and how many CDrom's and stuff? You going to be running a bunch of fans or anything?

If your running 1-2HDD's, and 1-2CDRom's, and all the other normal stuff, then a 350 watter is more then enough.

HOWEVER! The quality of the powersupply is often more important then the wattage it can output. Enermax make's the best ones hands down, but they are expensive. Get a Allied one from newegg.com, if your on a budget, they are good and very affordable.

You can tell the quality of the powersupply by simply holding it, the better ones feel "beefy" or heavier, then the cheap ones. In my computer, I have a decent 300w running all my basic computer stuff, but I modifed another CHEAP 300w powersupply that I had laying around inside my case (empty 5.25" bays) to run my 15 or so fans. You can tell the difference of quality between the 2 in my computer pretty easally by just holding them.

Good luck.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Let see. 3 Hard drives, one DVD, one CD writer. the 550 and 400watts power supply I saw have dual fans and are low in terms of noise reduction. I don't know the name but it feels beefy enough.

15 Fans Alex. Man, that's alot.
Old September 19th, 2003, 08:16 PM   #4
High School Student

Go with the 400 watter, a 350 would probably cut it, but go 400 if you want to. The 550 wouldn't hurt either, it's your choice, heh.

Yeah, my computer sounds like a jet with all of them on, they are 60CFM 92mm's.... 15 of em, heh. The only reason is because they were at this local wholesale computer place for like $0.99 each, with grills, so I just bought 20 of them, and used a 92mm whole saw and put holes all over my case and screwed them in, heh...
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 10:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Charles,

I would also suggest that the Power Supply you get have a variable speed fan. Supplies now can plug into the motherboard to monitor heat readings and adjust fan (both the ps and system/case fans) speeds accordingly. Makes a big difference since the majority of the time your computer probably isn't working all that hard. You'll know when it is working (rendering) when you hear the fans start to spool up.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 10:40 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks guys. That variable speed issue sounds good too.
Old September 20th, 2003, 02:14 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Theres 2 things that I definetely put money into when I build computers, memory and powersupplies. Sure you can buy a cheap one from Frys or any electronic store, but they usually have a HUGE power flux rate and are no where close to the 12v rail that you would want on your computer. Having a power supply with "clean" power and power distribution closest to specified volts is critical. here are some good power supplies that I would invest in:

Enermax
Antec TruePower
Raidmax
Thermaltake
Sparkle Power Inc

These are all top notch but I would only put Enermax or Antec power supplies in my computers. They can be found here: http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=58&DEPA=1

350watts is fine for a standard computer, but if you have more fans, and a proccessor over 2.8ghz, i'd go with a 400watt P/S. 550watt is only needed if your running dual pentiums or dual xeons or have 6 hard drives.

any more questions feel free to ask. I'm in the IT business so I'll pretty knowledgeable about this stuff

-Kay

http://www.curtkay.com
I WILL not be held down.
Curt Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2003, 02:25 AM   #8
Major Player

Thanks Curt. I'll make a note of that.
Old September 20th, 2003, 07:28 PM   #9
Wrangler

I"ve got 11 drives in my main editing computer. 550 watt Antec TruePower seems adequate. It will operate another 3 fans with variable speed beside the 2 built into the unit itself.

What you really want in a power supply is 'fold-back.' That means if one of the voltages goes down the others go down right along with it. Sort of like turning the power off. Otherwise, some components can be damaged if one of their power sources disappears.

Hard to get that info out of the PS manufacturers though.
Old September 21st, 2003, 12:12 AM   #10
Major Player

Now I have question in this line adding a new spesific. What's combined power?

I'm getting nice space saving box with outboard power block. It's rated 350W and I thought it would be enough for my needs (2 HD, DVD-RW, P4 2.8C GHz, nVidia 5600FX video card with remote, 2 fans).

Then I saw another number - 180W combined power. When I checked the internal power supplyes at the shop they usually are 350 W with 220W combined.

Somebody can clear this issue for me? Would it be enough for my set up?
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 06:04 AM   #11
Major Player

Good point. I'm curious to know as well.
Old September 21st, 2003, 03:59 PM   #12
Trustee

get the TTGI 520w. more than enough =D. good price too.
Old September 21st, 2003, 04:27 PM   #13
Major Player

Is this because it's a good buy or because the more power the better?
Old September 21st, 2003, 05:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

More power is not always the best thing. I would definetely put my money into a power supply that suits what I need it to do, not buy a more powerful one because its cheap.

-Kay

http://www.curtkay.com
I WILL not be held down.
Curt Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 08:44 PM   #15
Wrangler

All things being equal, a good big supply is only better than a good adequate supply because it allow future expansion.

I cannot tell you how many times I've had to battle engineering because someone decided that 'nobody would ever want to exceed this number," or some other artificial constraint. The ultimate cost can be high as people with year 2000 problems found out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC