2 quesitons about firewire 2. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old October 28th, 2003, 06:07 AM   #1
Trustee

2 quesitons about firewire 2.

1. will it double the rate of capture from DV cams if one uses fw2 (800mpbs)? or do you need to make a DV cam's fw port capable of such high transfer rates?

2. if so, are there fw2 cards for the PC?
Old October 28th, 2003, 06:50 AM   #2
Wrangler

I've never heard of firewire 2. Are you not getting confused with USB2???

All the best,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:07 AM   #3
Warden

It is usually referred to as FireWire 800. But several PC manufactures use the term FireWire 2 because of Apple using the term, kind of like Sony and iLink. FireWire 800 cards are available for PC's but your camera is only capable of 400 Mbps (if even that). It would not be possible to upgrade an older camera either. The upgrade would require a new controller and firmware.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #4
Wrangler

Well I be damned!!! I need keep up with the trends.

That is interesting, that could now mean then that you could get higher resolution cameras, and edit in the same resolution. Bring on 35mm sized CCDs - Cool!!!

Thanks,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 11:23 AM   #5
Trustee

doesn't HD cameras (like JVC) REQUIRE fw800 at the very least? hmm... ain't it the faster the better? yeah yeah yeah i know about cost but the cost to edit is already pretty high. what's the point of not going full on towards fw800? DV was the leading reason why fw exists why not be the leader again?
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:56 PM   #6
Warden

Right now HD cameras use SDI. FireWire is not required for editing but will be soon.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #7
Inner Circle

JVC's HD camera uses the firewire400 interface. It has about the same bandwidth requires as mini-DV (around 3.6MB/s?).

Anyways, firewire800 doesn't do anything for DV capture. It will increase hard drive speed though. There's no point in getting the card for HD cameras which may or may not arrive at the prosumer/consumer level and may not even use the FW800 interface for capture. I believe all the major cam manufacturers agreed on a HD format using mini-DV tape similar to JVC's so it's unlikely you'll need FW800 to capture HD.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC