XL1s Capt at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 6th, 2003, 12:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1s Capt

I did a search but I couldn’t seem to find my any answer to my problem. Here it is, when I plug in my XL1s no editing program will recognize it. Premiere Pro, Vegas 4, ScenalyzerLive, or windows movie maker.

But here’s the catch, my Sony trv25 works fine in all those apps! But one day I just went to capture video with the cannon and it didn’t work. I’m running windows xp, amd 2200+, asus motherboard, capturing using the onboard ohci 1394.

So I thought, hey it’s been at least 2 mouths since I did a format (I do a LOT of things on my comp) I’ll give it a format. So here I am today and…. No workie. The most obvious thing to do is try the cam out on another comp which I’ll do tomorrow but just wondered if someone had similar problems?

Thanks
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 03:18 AM   #2
Major Player

You probably don't want to hear this, but it could be the camera.. if it recognizes another camera but not another, that's a possibility. Try it on other computers if possible, to see if they will recognize it.

The upside (kinda) is, if it does turn out to be the camera, Canon will not only fix it if you send it in, but they will do a normal refurbishment of anything that needs replacing or fixing, so you'll have a nice "tuned-up" camera afterwards.

But I could very well be wrong about it being the camera! Has it recognized it before?
Old November 6th, 2003, 06:32 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Actually, I was surprised at how easily Premiere 5 worked with the XL1s. I would tend to look towards the firewire port on your camera, and see if it is in order.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 01:23 PM   #4
Wrangler

Make sure the cam is in VCR mode, just for grins. One other test is to try copying cam to cam and see if that works.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2003, 01:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Yeah, good idea Nathan. If you get a 4-pin (or 3-pin? whatever's the smallest end) parallel firewire cable and connect the two cameras, playing with a few settings you should be able to dub one tape on to another. If you can dub a tape in the XL1 to a tape in your Sony then the firewire port on the camera is fine..
Old November 6th, 2003, 08:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Today I tried the cam out on another computer, and it didn’t work. And I did try in VCR mode with non success. I don’t have a 4pin to 4pin firewire cable, (probably get one now) but I’m still in denial that it’s not the cameras fault. (Cause I need it this Sunday for a shoot)

Going over to another friend’s house to try it on his computer tonight. But if I do send it in to get repaired should I send it to cannon where it’s still under warranty, or I purchased a 2 year warranty with the camera and it says to send it two “Mack Camera & Video Service” in New Jersey? Thanks for your help guys.
Jacob Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 03:02 AM   #7
Major Player

The best idea would be send it to Canon if it's still under warranty with them. This might differ from store to store, but I believe most stores would send it off to Canon instead of fixing it themselves.

You said you need it for a shoot.. keep in mind if your firewire port is gone your camera will still work fine for shooting, you just can't use it as a deck. I say shoot on Sunday and send it off Monday ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC