i about to switch...for MAC... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old November 13th, 2003, 09:32 AM   #1
New Boot

i about to switch...for MAC...

Have been asking myself for a couple of weeks if i ll switch from Pc to Mac. Am i becoming stronger or weaker..i think stronger....

I have been using 3d modeling sofware for a while as Rhino, Pro-E
3d studio max so have had to choose a Pc.

Since i want get into the DV world i need a new computer, a NLE software and some other things...(my big concern are the computer and software)

i want a professional system right away... i dont wanna practice long hours.. bearing in mind that i d change the NLE when i d be ready to start professional. ( i want do sports movies and sell them internationally...and i believe in God)

I am strongly in a mental fight... Mac vs Pc...and FCP vs Premiere Pro and i am not allow to stab any of em. The fight seems last forever. ( i want a dedicated system for video editing)
i have already a thread in the Mac.. side.. about the G5 and FCP and a lot of people love em.
What..you..PC guys thinking about all of this? Do you think that would be a good thing to switch?
Jean-Francois Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:59 AM   #2
Wrangler

PC's have been proven to be just as good as and even better than Macs at multimedia tasks. You have better hardware and software support, with more software available for the PC.
You don't have to use Premiere, there are other various NLE apps that are just as good and some say are slightly better -Avid, Vegas etc.

Oh and one last thing you are able to upgrade PCs quite easily.

Cheers,

Ed

Ps
You might get annoyed with just one mouse button, rather than 2 or 3 you expect on a PC mouse.

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:13 AM   #3
Major Player

Welcome...

I would like to be the first (if Im not to late) to welcome you to the MAC SIDE.

In response to the mouse issue - don't worry about the one button thing, my track ball and my other mouse both have FIVE (5) buttons that I can assign ANYTHING to in ANY APPLICATION.

Enjoy you new machine...
Aaron Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It doesn't really matter. Use whichever you want. Or better yet, buy the hardware that supports the software you want to use. Use the software that you think will best do the things you want to do.
Bruce A. Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I second the software driven choice... IF you are comfortable on either platform already. IF you are more comfortable on a particular platform, then choose the best software for that system.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 02:05 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just got p.p. and bought a new pc not to long ago and i love P.P. Also remeber you have alot more choices if you go with pc too. It s your choice
Joel Ruggiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2003, 09:31 PM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Jean-Francois,

I've been using Mac for years and have never felt deprived in software choices. The software that is available for Mac has always proven to be excellent and very user-friendly, so really I don't see having lots more choices as an advantage...just surplus.

I suggest you don't listen to me or anyone else...since everyone is biased. The bottom line is, both platforms offer all the tools you'll need to get the job done. Just pick whichever you feel most comfortable with.
Old November 13th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #8
Trustee

From my experience, and a degree in IT/Multimedia, if you are comfortable with computer hardware, tweaking for performance, and able to trouble shoot hardware/software compatibility issues then a PC is a good choice. This isn't to say that all PCs will give you trouble, they are just more prone to compability issues. I'm sure someone will chime in and say they've never had a problem, and you may not either, but it does happen more often on a PC than on a Mac.

If you want a system that you pull out of the box, plug everything in, and then start editing then I'd go with a Mac. There are occasional issues with mac software and they are usually addressed by Apple rather promptly. With PCs it can sometimes take quite a while as the companies have to decide who's problem it is, the software producer's or Microsoft's. I had this problem with W2k and Matrox a few years ago.

The bottom line is go with what you feel more comfortable with. If you've been on a PC for a number of years then I'd stay on a PC if you don't want to learn a new system. However, if you go to the Mac you will have a new OS to learn as well as a new NLE.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2003, 07:30 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I use PC and Mac, and my experince is that my Mac system is by far the most stable. Considering I have been a PC freak for almost 20 years and have used Mac less than 2 years, I guess that tell everything. When I started using the Mac it went about a year before I met some trouble at all. I have never experienced that with any of my PC's.

So my advice must be: Go for it, and enjoy! But keep your PC, because they will complement each other.
Ivan Hedley Enger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2003, 01:32 AM   #10
Wrangler

What people say about PCs being unstable is pretty much a thing of the past. I run two PCs in my office, both running WinXP Pro, and am amazed by how stable it is. I started this setup about a year ago, and have had maybe two crashes on my internet computer, and none on my editing computer (running Vegas, BTW).

I doubt there is really much difference between to two platforms in terms of stability. Buy whichever supports the software you want to use. If it's FCP, get a Mac, if its Vegas or Premiere, get a PC. If its Avid, get either.

Bottom line: It's just a tool and will make absolutely ZERO difference to your finished product.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC