DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   graphics card (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/18068-graphics-card.html)

Tung Bui December 7th, 2003 07:44 PM

graphics card

I'm looking into buying a computer to edit video for my pana mx500.
I just want to ask whether I should buy a graphics card from a dedicated dv setup like canopus dvstorm 2 or whether i can use the standard graphics cards like a radeon 9800 and purchase an editing programme like adobe 6.5 that can support real time rendering in the software.
Trouble is you can pick up a PC with the graphics card included for not very much whereas something like dvstorm will cost more than a whole computer system. Is getting a dedicated card much better than a standard card? REal time rendering is essential for me.

Secondly is it possible to get a card that can output to a monitor and tv with the graphics on the tv and the text on the monitor? Its rather hard to check your rendering on a small box in a monitor. It would be nice to work on a picture in full size on the whole screen.

Glenn Chan December 7th, 2003 08:22 PM

Dual monitors will give you a lot of space for editing. It's usually cheaper/better than getting one huge monitor. Your video card needs to support dual monitors (a lot do) with the right connectors (2DVI, DVI and VGA, or 2 VGA with a DVI-->VGA adapter).

Kevin King December 9th, 2003 12:30 AM

Tung,

I just went through this myself. I use Vegas for NLE, but this should be standard for just about any NLE setup. The way I set up my system is exactly the way the Vegas owner's manual suggests, and it is working great for me.

Firstly, to view your preview on an actual TV screen - as far as I know, using the output of a video card's RCA or S-Video out feature is never the way to go. This will basically create an additional desktop image on your TV screen - which you can drag your NLE's preview window onto, but it's certainly not like previewing the actual video on a monitor.

To do this properly, you can plug your camcorder into your IEEE, then run the A/V output (RCA / S-Vid, whatever) of your camcorder to your TV monitor. You then configure your NLE software to use your IEEE device for video preview. It will then display correctly on the TV for preview.

As for dual monitors - I just made this upgrade and it's great. You need any video card that has either 2 VGA outs, 2 DVI outs, or 1 DVI and 1 VGA out. I have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9200. A basic off the shelf card. (I paid about $75 U.S. for it). It has a VGA out and a DVI out. The computer shop where I got it threw in a "DVI to VGA converter" - basically a simple piece of plasic that couples a standard monitor cable to this new fangled DVI port - a $2 item at most if you have to purchase it separate.

From all my reading, this is the "correct" way to do it. If you eventually want to get away fromt the "jerry-rigged" setup through your camcorder, the Canopus 100 digital-analog converter boxes look very nice. A bit steep for me now, but definately on the shopping list in the future.

Tung Bui December 9th, 2003 11:39 PM

Thanks guys.
So to avoid the awkward setup with the camcorder you need to purchase a special card?

But back to the original question. So you can use an standard graphics card to edit you video in real time (if its supported by the software like I assume adobe premiere 6.5 does) is that correct?
If so than why would you pay for a dedicated card? is it because the card supports real time rendering with in the hardware and so does a much better job than you ordinary graphics card?
I've searched this forum and there has been this question before I think but no clear answer so. It would be nice to know. If the dedicated card is better then I would just buy a cheaper computer system.

Glenn Chan December 9th, 2003 11:49 PM

The setup with the camcorder is preferable. It'll let you see what your footage actually looks like when it comes time to color correct and check your output.

Some NLEs support playing a full frame of footage onto a TV hooked up to your computer's video card. This isn't really necessary.

Some NLEs use your video card's GPU to get more real-time capability. A faster 3D video card like a Radeon 9800 (Pro) would be faster. Otherwise any video card will do.

Keep in mind the most versatile setup is getting the fastest processor you can. However, you reach a point of diminishing gains with processors. You'll need to look into solutions like a faster 3d card and/or hardware acceleration (Avid Mojo, the hardware accelerators for Premiere Pro) if you want even more real-time capability.

Glenn Chan December 9th, 2003 11:53 PM

The best price/performance right now is getting a Pentium-based system with a Pentium 2.4-3.0 system with a basic dual head video card (depends on which monitors you choose) and no hardware acceleration.

Run Vegas which offers pretty good real-time previews. Check footage on a TV hooked up to your camcorder, deck or converter box.