DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Post FIX for DUST speck ?!? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/18433-post-fix-dust-speck.html)

Dale Anthony Smith December 16th, 2003 03:19 PM

Post FIX for DUST speck ?!?

I just finished transferring some footage from my camera to a safety/edit copy on my DV deck. The deck displays on a regular monitor and to my horror, there is a dust speck on all of my .6 Wide Angle footage. I checked the adapter... clean. I checked the lens.. voila a large particle.

I didn't see the speck in the viewfinder and I was doing mostly on the go shooting, so I didn't use a large field monitor.
The fact that the on-camera lens goes to MACRO when the .6 adapter is employed made it focus on the dust speck more closely.

It isn't noticable on my static shots or shots with a lot of detail, but on moving shots with sky or white walls it's unuseable.

My question...
Is there a post method that (like in Photoshop) can replace pixels in a spot with pixels that surround it?

The solution is to make sure you don't have any dust on the lens or bring a field monitor.. I know. I plan to reshoot the unuseable scenes after an almost final cut so I don't have to reshoot everything, but it would be nice if there was a program function that could do it relatively inexpensively.

Thanks

Trond Saetre December 16th, 2003 04:10 PM

I know Adobe Photoshop can import a filmstrip sequence from Premiere. I can't remember if you have to edit frame by frame, or if it is possible to edit several frames at the same time. I haven't used this funktion myself, so I can't give you any details.

>Is there a post method that (like in Photoshop) can
>replace pixels in a spot with pixels that surround it?

Yes, Photoshop can do this.

John Britt December 18th, 2003 09:17 PM

I think you already knew that Photoshop can clone, so...

...After Effects can, too. Depending on your budget you can either buy After Effects 6.0 Pro or download the 30-day fully functioning trial from Adobe. I don't have much experience with AE 6.0 and/or its cloning tools (I'm a 5.5 Standard user), but a Google search turns up some info: Search: clone tool after effects

You can work with the filmstrip file in P-shop as suggested, but it can be time-consuming (I say from experience). Download the AE 6.0 trial and try the clone tool -- it might work great.

Dale Anthony Smith December 19th, 2003 12:34 PM

THanks,
I have used the cloning tools for retouching archival stills with Painter, but I am not looking forward to a frame by frame approach. I think I might try the after effects if I can't do it the way someone on DVXUSER.com suggested.
Their solution was to create a mask where the spot is and then add a layer of identical video but offset it slightly. I can do that in BLADE.
Again thanks to everyone who responded.

Dave Stewart December 22nd, 2003 06:24 PM

That's a cute method. You should probably make a small mask in the titler and use that to only offset the small area that you want to cover up othwise the video will be blurry.