Post FIX for DUST speck ?!? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 16th, 2003, 03:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Post FIX for DUST speck ?!?

I just finished transferring some footage from my camera to a safety/edit copy on my DV deck. The deck displays on a regular monitor and to my horror, there is a dust speck on all of my .6 Wide Angle footage. I checked the adapter... clean. I checked the lens.. voila a large particle.

I didn't see the speck in the viewfinder and I was doing mostly on the go shooting, so I didn't use a large field monitor.
The fact that the on-camera lens goes to MACRO when the .6 adapter is employed made it focus on the dust speck more closely.

It isn't noticable on my static shots or shots with a lot of detail, but on moving shots with sky or white walls it's unuseable.

My question...
Is there a post method that (like in Photoshop) can replace pixels in a spot with pixels that surround it?

The solution is to make sure you don't have any dust on the lens or bring a field monitor.. I know. I plan to reshoot the unuseable scenes after an almost final cut so I don't have to reshoot everything, but it would be nice if there was a program function that could do it relatively inexpensively.

Thanks
Old December 16th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I know Adobe Photoshop can import a filmstrip sequence from Premiere. I can't remember if you have to edit frame by frame, or if it is possible to edit several frames at the same time. I haven't used this funktion myself, so I can't give you any details.

>Is there a post method that (like in Photoshop) can
>replace pixels in a spot with pixels that surround it?

Yes, Photoshop can do this.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 09:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I think you already knew that Photoshop can clone, so...

...After Effects can, too. Depending on your budget you can either buy After Effects 6.0 Pro or download the 30-day fully functioning trial from Adobe. I don't have much experience with AE 6.0 and/or its cloning tools (I'm a 5.5 Standard user), but a Google search turns up some info: Search: clone tool after effects

You can work with the filmstrip file in P-shop as suggested, but it can be time-consuming (I say from experience). Download the AE 6.0 trial and try the clone tool -- it might work great.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

THanks,
I have used the cloning tools for retouching archival stills with Painter, but I am not looking forward to a frame by frame approach. I think I might try the after effects if I can't do it the way someone on DVXUSER.com suggested.
Their solution was to create a mask where the spot is and then add a layer of identical video but offset it slightly. I can do that in BLADE.
Again thanks to everyone who responded.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 06:24 PM   #5
Regular Crew

That's a cute method. You should probably make a small mask in the titler and use that to only offset the small area that you want to cover up othwise the video will be blurry.
Dave Stewart is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC