Questions before buying a Production Monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old December 16th, 2003, 11:12 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Questions before buying a Production Monitor

I'm in the market for a (NTSC) production monitor to hook-up to my new XPS in addition to a M992 PC monitor I already have--for post production work. I have the ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256mb with tv out and dvi. I will be using Vegas as my NLE. Question: What inputs should I be looking for on a production monitor? Do they all have the same inputs? I don't want to get a professional monitor and find out this card won't hook into the monitor. And can someone suggest a 13-17 inch production monitor in the under $700 range? I only have two in mind at the moment: a Sony PVM-14L1 and a JVC TM-H1700GU model. I don't think they have blue check capabilities, but in this price range what 13-inch monitor does.
Dale Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2003, 05:03 PM   #2
Regular Crew

bump
Old December 17th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #3
Wrangler

I found that 'B' stock is a good way to buy a better monitor than one might otherwise be able to afford.

I purchased a 14" JVC with all the bells and whistles for around $800. It had a list price of around $1400 IIRC.

It is super.

Otherwise the little plastic case JVC monitors are hard to beat. About $300 new IIRC. If I werent' done with teaching until next year, I could go look at the model numbers for you. Bought a bunch about 2 years ago for camera monitors and editing stations. Not bad. Not as good as the expensive spread so If you are working for $, then the better monitor will do you some good.

Mostly they have composite and maybe S-video inputs. Fancier ones have SDI and component.
Old December 17th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Just so I'm clear, since my video card has TV-out and DVI it will connect with any so-called professional production monitor, correct?

I won't need a DV-to-Analog box? I do have a DVI-VGA adapter that came with the PC.

Thanks for the reply
Old December 18th, 2003, 03:57 AM   #5
Trustee

I could be wrong here, but the TV won't *really* work with Vegas. You can output to it, but Vegas doesn't use overlays as I recall and most modern cards route the overlays out the TV out. I guess you can route one of the displays to the TV out in it's entirety but that will not be as efficient, especially seeing as VEGAS won't scale the preview window to full screen.

You're better to go out firewire -> camera/DAC -> monitor.

Aaron
Old December 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Aaron,

Thank you. Would the Canopus ADVC-100 be something you are referring to? Does it come highly regarded?

Dale
Old December 18th, 2003, 01:53 PM   #7
Trustee

Dale, I don't have much experience with ADC unfortunately, but many people have mentioned the Canopus and I have no problem thinking that they'd be find for the job. You could of course, just use your camera as a deck.

Aaron
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:23 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Would a simple solution be to buy a seperate TV card which has analoge outputs. I'm interested because I now run two CRT monitors off my ATI 9600xt,and I'm going to buy a post production monitor first of next year. I was thinking of buying a TV card and use that for Vegas to output to. I'm not sure I want to use a camera to bridge out to the monitor. If there is a firiwire/adapter that would be nice. Any other ideas on this?
Old October 27th, 2004, 02:05 PM   #9
Inner Circle

You should probably get a cheap camcorder with analog-digital passthrough. The camcorder can act as a deck (saves head wear on your camera).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #10
New Boot

You should use a dual head video card (vga+dvi) to drive your dual computer monitors. Preview your video on the production monitor via firewire through a camera with analog outs or something like the ADVC-100 which only costs like $200.
Old November 6th, 2004, 10:58 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Thank you for your reply. I guess I need to start hooking to afford what I'm going to buy next year. :}
Old November 6th, 2004, 06:26 PM   #12
Inner Circle

I just bought the Sony PVM-14L1, and hot damn. This is a nice monitor for the money. You can't see the underscan area, which is the only complaint I have. That's a pretty big complaint actually, but Sony has to have a reason to jack up the price on their high-end monitors. Still, the picture is amazing. I had no idea the footage from my camcorder could look so sharp. Sturdy, steel cabinet too.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #13
New Boot

You're saying that monitor doesn't have underscan? I usually use an 8044Q in the field and use the underscan all the time. I think it better to not wind up with a fixture in the very edge of the frame these days because with the greater range of viewing applications you could see the whole picture beyond TV safe.
Old November 7th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Sadly, yes, unless I'm missing something.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #15
Major Player

I've had the 14L for some time now. You are correct, it doesn’t have underscan.

But still, it’s a cracking monitor for the price.
Makes my XM2 footage look like digi beta...well not quite :P

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC