NLE Buying Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:26 PM   #1
New Boot

NLE Buying Advice

I'm thinking of buying q Matrox 2500, based on good reviews I've read, plus somewhere back I saw a comparison chart that the color depth is better than on other cards that are comparably priced.

I'd be using this primarily to edit from a Canon XL1, and to digitize and burn to DVD about 15 years worth of 8mm stuff. Any advice for the uninitated as to recommendations of this card versus others?

I'm also thinking I'd install this on a Dell myself, but the magazines scream "buy a turnkey system." What think on this point?

Thanks
Old May 7th, 2002, 07:03 AM   #2

From my perspective, the matrox RT2500 is notoriously problem prone, depending on the chipset. If you're dead set for a 2500, they, yes, buy a turnkey system. If real time is what you're after, go Canopus. If you just want a good, rock solid, flexible editting NLE, go with Vegas Video 3. I avoid Premier like the plague. It's old technology and clumsy to use.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 09:09 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

The Canopus DVStorm is a really good deal right now and worth its weight in gold... www.justedit.com

I'm using its big brother, the DVRex RT, and I love it to death. Really recommend spending the extra $100 and have it built for you by a pro integrator.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 09:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm just learning about "turnkey" set ups and have some questions: Do you get "everything' with these, including monitors and keyboards? I looked at the canopus site and it said the StormRack came with...

<1> Windows 2000 OS
<2> Adobe Premiere 6.0
<3> Canopus Storm Edit
<4> Xplode Professional
<5> Speed Controller
<6> Storm Navigator
<7> ACID Style
<8> Nero Burning ROM

MSRP: $7,599.00 USD

What extras beyond what they ship in the box are normally needed?

It also says it's "rack mountable". Does it NEED to be mounted in a rack? (I don't have a rack.) :(

Also, anyone have any experience with this StormRack?

Thanks very much!
fargograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 02:17 AM   #5
RED Code Chef

I can't tell you more about turnkey systems, but I can talk to you
about rack-mountable. What they mean by this is that it fits into
a standard 19" (inch) rack. These racks are standard in the
professional audio (perhaps video as well?) and computer
markets. You do not need to have a rack. These computers just
have some screws on them, fit into a standard size. They are
usually much deeper then heigher (reverse of what you are
used to in a "normal" pc)

If you want to know more, let me know. An example 19"
rack-mount case can be found at the following url
(found it with a simple google search):

http://www.amtrade.com/computer/19_inch_industrial_case.htm

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 04:37 PM   #6
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

The RT2500 is not a difficult card ot set up and install. It is very stable and works on a very wide range of systems. The original RT2000 was a two card solution and it was notorious. Going to a single card helped the rt2500. Then matrox released the3.0 drivers and the stability and ease of integration became excellent.

If you would like, give us a call. We'll go over your system and see if their are any 'gotchas'. If we find any, we'll give you recommendations on fixes.

Gary
Videoguys.com 800 323-2325
Old May 9th, 2002, 06:26 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

All right, it's Gary Bettan from Video Guys! Thanks for posting, Gary! We gotta talk... y'all, Gary's a new daddy too, and I want my cigar.

About the StormRack, you don't need to spend $8K on this thing, any decent systems integrator can build a standard "white box" PC with the same specs as StormRack for thousands less. So forgeddaboutit.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 09:03 AM   #8
Regular Crew

"any decent systems integrator.... "

Where type of company would I call to find a "systems integrator"?

I've always bought computers "off the shelf". The last one was a Dell that I was able to customize, but how do you get a total "turnkey" system built for you? Are there good companies that do this, or would you just hire a "guy" to put something together?

Tnx
fargograf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 09:19 PM   #9
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

There are several really good "white box" NLE integrators. These guys specialize in building reliable, fast and inexpensive turnkey solutions.

Here is link to a page on our website that lists several we recommend http://www.videoguys.com/turnkey.html

Gary

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC