DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   PP to Encore? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/19247-pp-encore.html)

Barry Gilbert January 4th, 2004 02:04 PM

PP to Encore?

I finally getting paid to do a project and Premire Pro is acting up on me. I can't get it to burn the project to DVD as it has done before. I am using a DVR-04 with firmware 1.32 and it states simply that there was an error. Dosen't give me any info. Usally happens around the time it starts to burn it to disk (about 1.5 hrs into it). I have a 1.6Mhz AMD (slow) and 1 Gig of DDR. I am in the process of updating the firmware to 1.40 on the burner.

I was tryin' to use the Adobe DVD Encore to make my menu's and such. Is there a way to import my ppro project directly into encore? I tried to drag and drop and it said it is not supported. NOT SUPPORTED!!! It's an Adobe project!! How the heck can it NOT be supported?

Just wondering. Thanks,
Barry

Rob Lohman January 4th, 2004 02:18 PM

I assume you must render your Premiere project to mpeg first
before it will be accepted by Encore. Most DVD authoring packages
only understand mpeg2, and not, for example, native DV files.

Barry Gilbert January 4th, 2004 02:25 PM

Sometimes I miss the obivous stuff.

Thanks Rob,

I was just draging the saved project in thinking if PP knew where everything was and how to play it back, then so would Encore.

So if I understand you right, I export it out as a mpeg and then use Encore to add my chapters and menu to it.

Thanks again for the quick answers.

Rob Lohman January 4th, 2004 02:40 PM

That should do it. Make sure you output to mpeg2 and use
Premiere's DVD template!

Pete Bauer January 5th, 2004 11:44 AM

Barry,

I'm not too experienced with Encore yet, and I'm at work so can't verify that I'm entirely correct ... but I believe that you can put your chapter markers in the PP timeline (not clip markers, but timeline markers). The chapter markers should remain in the rendered mpeg (actually I think it is best to render to *.m2v, along with a separate sound file) that you would import into Encore.

By putting the chapter markers in the PP timeline, if you decide to rework or update your project, or import a sequence to another project, you wouldn't have to recreate your basic chapter markers in Encore.

As an aside, I THINK Encore will also accept an avi file (maybe uncompressed if your system is speedy enough to handle it?), but then would have to encode it to an *.m2v and an audio file anyway. I'm not sure if Encore also uses the MainConcept MPEG Encoder that PP does, so I don't know if doing it this way would be an advantage or a disadvantage. Maybe someone with more knowledge can speak to that.

Cheers,

Craig Demaer January 8th, 2004 01:32 AM

Every time I have used Encore it has said that it prefers to use the raw AVI uncompressed format to anything else and that it would compress it when you go to burn it; but it would accept already encoded mpeg2 as well.

Barry Gilbert January 8th, 2004 07:05 AM

Temp hold

I am currently upgrading my computer. (Adobe stuff is Ram/Processor intensive) I have installed a new 3.0Ghz Intel IC7 MoBo and 3200 pc (512 for the moment. I will let you guys know how it goes when I can get it up and running again.

Thanks for all the advice.