Transferring my video to my computer... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 5th, 2004, 09:35 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Transferring my video to my computer...

Alright guys I'm pretty damn confused about this now. I always thought it would be a fairly simple process, but apparently I was wrong. I have my VX2100 here...I installed my brand new Firewire card (it's a SIIG 1394 3-Port PCI I/O Adapter)...started up my computer again...it recognized the new hardware and updated automatically...but when I plug the Firewire cord into my camera...nothing happens. I thought it would detect it's presence automatically.

What am I supposed to do? I have my camera with a tape in it with maybe 10 minutes of footage that I'm planning to transfer to my computer to start fooling around with it. I'm gonna unplug the firewire cord from it right now until you guys can give me some advice, cause I'm truly lost. Where do I need to go once I have my camera with footage, my functioning firewird card, and my firewire cable that is plugged in only to the card and not the camera? How do I captuer this footage properly? Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Frank,
Do you have an editing software or capture program installed?

I.E.; Vegas Video,Sceneanlyzier,Premiere,Avid Express,Studio8

If so, which one as that would help to determine what the problem might be.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Christ almighty this is frustrating the hell out of me. Please guys I need your help. I even download Windows Movie Maker but even that damn thing won't recognize that my camera is plugged in. What the hell. This is absolutely infuriating. Help please help.
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I didn't have an editing program until I just downloaded Windows Movie Maker. I know it's crap but I just wanna get this video onto my computer somehow, and I figure it would be pretty simple to figure out. Yet when I try to capture the video it doesn't recognize that my camera is plugged in and turned on in VCR mode.
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:19 PM   #5
Major Player

What operating system do you have installed? Some OS/configuration will recognize the IEEE-1394 but may not detect the camcorder.
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:23 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm using Windows XP.
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Hmmm! You got me! XP will likely detect a fly landing on your keyboard! So it's surely going to detect a camcorder hooked on a functional Firewire card. Do you have another way to test your IEEE-1394 card? Have you tried changing cable? Bad cables are not uncommon.
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:41 PM   #8
Regular Crew

That's what I was thinking. My device manager says my IEEE card is working properly and everything. It has to be the cable. Only problem is I only have this one cable. I hope that's what it is though so it can be easily resolved. Why are firewire cable so unreliable? I would've thought that they'd be hella reliable, even more than USB or something. Please god let it just be the stupid cable.
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #9
Major Player

I've encountered many people that had bad cables. Most cables shipped with cards are OK, but some manufacturers cut on costs and skimp out on the cable. In any event, having a nice shielded cable will not be a bad investment. Even if it turns out not to be the cable.

Another way to rule out the camcorder as the problem, go to a friends house, or a computer shop that you know have IEEE-1394 enabled computers, and try it there.
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

The cable I have is a 6ft IEEE 1934 Firewire Cable from a company called Manhattan. I bought it from a local computer shop that I have quite a bit of faith in. Doesn't change the fact thought that they might just sell crappy firewire cables, seeing as how I've never bought one from them before. Or perhaps I just got a shoddy one. Hell.
Old January 6th, 2004, 04:24 AM   #11
Major Player

Switch on the PC.
Plug the cable into the camera.
Turn the camera on in VCR mode.
WIN XP should detect it.

If that doesn't work, try installing the Firewire card in another PCI slot.

And as sugested earlier, try another cable.

If possible try your camera and cable in another PC.

Good luck and best regards,
Arnaldo
Arnaldo Paixao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 05:55 AM   #12
Inner Circle

You might also want to turn the camera to the VCR mode BEFORE you open up the NLE. Sometimes the computer systems just get finicky.
Good Luck,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #13
New Boot

i've used movie maker before - just messing around - xp should, when you turn your camera on, recognize the attatched device - it will throw up a dialog box asking you what you want to do - capture video, capture pics, etc...much like the prompt when you put a cd in the drive -- IT HAS TO BE THE CABLE!!!
Chad Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Test the cable. Try using another device on preferably another computer. Then, try that device on your WinXP computer.

I just did a Firewire "A/V thru" transfer using my VX2000 on a WinXP computer, using Pinnacle Studio8 to manage the transfer.
I remember that the VX2000 showed up as a device alongside
the disks and stuff. I don't remember this happening as soon
as I plugged in the VX2000, but I think it happened when I switch the unit to VCR mode.

Usually, I use an old JVC miniDV camera for my Firewire transfers. I don't think that the JVC is ever detected by WinXP. It doesn't cause pop-up device detection dialog box, and it doesn't show up as a device. Nonetheless, Studio8 can control it for Firewire capture.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #15
Regular Crew

On some cameras there is a DV-Output option you must turn on in the menus (the Canon XM series has this...). Check on your menus to see if there is a DV-Out option. Otherwise, GET A NEW CABLE!
Ross Weinshenker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC