MGI VideoWave 4 & Windows Media Player 9 Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 8th, 2004, 05:10 AM   #1
Inner Circle

MGI VideoWave 4 & Windows Media Player 9 Problem

Hello all.

I use Vegas as my NLE but until recently I only had a cam with DV out so in order to transfer material I had edited in Vegas to VHS I used MGI's VideoWave 4 to play the file in full screen mode with the output sent to the VHS recorder via the TV out on my graphics card.

A bit quirky, I know, but it was quick and simple and gave the desired results. I would have used Windows Media Player for this purpose but for some reason I couldn't get the output to route through the TV out so I gave up.

I must point out that VideoWave came bundled with my firewire card and I would never have chosen to use it otherwise! It just filled a need I had at the time.

Now the problem I am having is that every time I play an mpg in Windows Media Player (v9) I get a dialogue box that asks me to insert the VideoWave disk to install an unnamed 'feature'. If I hit cancel, the dialogue box is replaced with a message that says "missing the part no file" and then the mpg plays OK.

Actually, when I say "every time" in fact it only happens when I play the first mpg in a WMP9 session. If I play more mpg's, all is well. But if I close WMP9 and restart it, bingo - there's the message again.

More confusingly, even if I do insert the VideoWave disk and go through the installation process for this "feature" (which I guess may be something to do with mpg support?) it still doesn't go away - next WMP9 session it starts again!

The other REALLY annoying thing is that when I browse a directory with mpg's in it - for example if I am importing media into a Vegas bin - it happens there as well! It only happens in Windows Explorer if I set the folder to show thumbnails.

Has anyone else experienced this or can anyone tell me what's going on?

Cheers! Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:24 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

I don't think that it is a WMP issue but some general driver they
hooked up in your system. I don't think you can get rid of it
without a reinstall.

Are you saying your camera has no analog outputs (I'v never
seen a camera that hasn't)? If it has, why not simply use those?
Or does your camera not have DV-IN? If so, you can get that
fixed a lot of the times.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks Rob. It seems that completely uninstalling VideoWave has resolved the problem (still interested in what on earth was going on though!).

No, my camera doesn't have DV in, hence the problem. It is a JVC model which I have owned for about five years. Sadly, it is one of the few cams that won't take a widget (believe me I've looked!).

For the time being I have been given a Canon XM2 (GL2) on 'permanent' loan by a client so I don't need VideoWave any more, thankfully, to copy material to VHS. Of course in the event that I have to give the XM2 back . . . <sob>

I was really just curious as to what might have caused the problem and I think your suggestion is probably right.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC