XpressDV with Apple Cinema or Sony PremierPro 23" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 8th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #1
Major Player

XpressDV with Apple Cinema or Sony PremierPro 23"

Anyone using Avid XpressDV with the Apple Cinema 23" HD monitor or the Sony PremierPro 23" monitor? I'm debating whether i should get one of these models but I don't know how Avid XpressDV will scale up to a res of 1920x1200. I know that this program is very "picky" when it comes to desktop resolutions.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

You are aware that hooking a Apple Cinema Display to a PC will
*NOT* give you access to the control of the display, right? Those
are controlled through software and Apple is not making the
software for PC. Just so you know.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 10:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Did you consider a dual monitor setup? It gives more screen real estate at a lower price, especially when you are considering 23" LCDs.

23" gives 529 square units of area.
2X20" gives 800 ($2.8k or less)
2X19" gives 722 ($1500)
2X18.1" gives 655
2X17" gives 578 (~$1000)

Screen area isn't directly comparable but assuming 50% efficiency of the second monitor, dual monitors usually come out on top. 2X19" inch LCDs come out on top assuming 50% efficiency of the second monitor (541 units versus 529), while there is a major price difference. Even if you factor in the cost of a dual DVI video card, 2X19" LCDs still come out on top.

http://www.digitaltigers.com/displays.shtml

I'm not sure how well Avid works with dual monitors but I'm guessing pretty well.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : You are aware that hooking a Apple Cinema Display to a PC will
*NOT* give you access to the control of the display, right? Those
are controlled through software and Apple is not making the
software for PC. Just so you know. -->>>

Rob, yes but Nvidia's Detonator driver has display controls in software, even more so than what Apple's software offers. So that is not a problem for me.

Quote:
Did you consider a dual monitor setup? It gives more screen real estate at a lower price, especially when you are considering 23" LCDs.
Yeah but how is the image quality of these 19"-20" LCDs? I hear that the Apple Cinema HD is second to none in image quality.
Old January 13th, 2004, 06:56 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't know about the quality of the 23" Apple Cinema display. My guess is that smaller LCDs are just as good. You could try asking on other forums.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #6
Warden

Apple Cinema Display are considered the best, most accurate LCD in production today (at least for under $5000). It is the only LCD certified by SWOP in the color printing industry. The only better CRT monitor is the Sony Artisan. The Artisan is in the same price range as the Apple, but you would need to purchase two to get the extra screen space. The Sony's also have a much larger footprint.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:17 AM   #7
Major Player

Aren't the Apple displays simple re-badged sony's?

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #8
Warden

I don't believe the LCD's are made by Sony, unless a change was made just recently. Apple used Sony (Trintron tubes) for years in their old CRT line of monitors.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Donald : Apple Cinema Display are considered the best, most accurate LCD in production today (at least for under $5000). It is the only LCD certified by SWOP in the color printing industry. The only better CRT monitor is the Sony Artisan. The Artisan is in the same price range as the Apple, but you would need to purchase two to get the extra screen space. The Sony's also have a much larger footprint. -->>>

So you saying the Apple Cinema is even more accurate than many of the CRTs out there?
Old January 13th, 2004, 04:52 PM   #10
Warden

I would say the only monitor that beats the Apple 23" Cinema Display (in the under $2,000 USD price range) is the Sony Artisan.

Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC