DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   New user dumb question... Preview on TV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/19530-new-user-dumb-question-preview-tv.html)

Eric Gutknecht January 9th, 2004 10:11 AM

New user dumb question... Preview on TV

Hi there;

This is likely a dumb question but I am new at this so please forgive me.

I have a video card on my computer with a TV out jack, and I'm wondering how you preview your video editing projects on a TV monitor. Do you simply play the clip on your monitor and it also displays on the TV connected to the TV out jack or is there a setting inside the NLE software that outputs the cideo to a TV?

Also, If I have a VCR connected to the TV out jacks, can I record a rendered video projet directly to VHS or do I need additonal hardware to do so properly?

Any tips tricks or advice is greatly appreciated. I am in the process of setting up a computer and TV to do my first edit projects and I'm full of dumb questions!

Many Thanks;
Eric
Ottawa, Canada

Edward Troxel January 9th, 2004 10:24 AM

What NLE?

Generally speaking, most NLE's send the signal via Firewire for external preview. Some NLE's may support you video card.

Eric Gutknecht January 9th, 2004 10:57 AM

Its either going to be Adobe Premier Pro or Vegas 4.0.

I did some searches on the site and discovered that perhaps my best option is a breakout box (ADVC 100 etc). I just thought that my video card (NVidea GeForce 5200) should already be able to handle this given that it has S-VHS and RCA outputs. I'm likely missing something here...

Eric

Edward Troxel January 9th, 2004 11:42 AM

If you use Vegas, you need to go out the firewire port to a convertor to a TV. This will give you a TRUE representation as to what the final output will look like.

I know Premiere also uses firewire for preview. However, I believe it does also offer the TV port on some cards.

I'm leary of using a card's output for checking details. I prefer firewire as that is how the video will be output and will not have extra hardware altering my video.

Glenn Chan January 9th, 2004 03:50 PM

What kind of camcorder do you have? Some convert from DV to analog on the fly. Sony calls this analog-digital passthrough and all but their low end models have em. A lot of other cameras have this feature too now.

Eric Gutknecht January 9th, 2004 04:19 PM

I have a Canon GL2 camera. I thnk I know what your getting at. I gather I can use firewire in to the camera and then use analog out to a TV to do this. I assume at that point though that I simply replicate the desktop on my monitor out to a TV rather than just get the preview window right?

Eric

Edward Troxel January 9th, 2004 04:29 PM

You will get exactly what you will print to tape by previewing through the firewire.

Glenn Chan January 9th, 2004 09:36 PM

Ok then just hook up your camera as you've figured out. Both premiere pro and vegas will preview out through firewire. It's at a performance hit though, but that's ok because you can turn it off when you don't need it.

In Vegas you hit the TV button.
In Premiere Pro you have to mess around with the settings. It's close to the video display.

Anthony Claudia January 28th, 2004 06:05 PM

I am running Premiere 6.0 and trying to get the firewire preview to work. I can't find these setting however.
The manuals / help have no inforrmation either. Anyone successful with this?

Manuel Albarracin January 29th, 2004 12:51 AM

You have to hook up the video out of your video card to the tv. And next go to display property. Right click the desktop and go to display properties then settings. Enable your video cards video out.
This depends on the type of your video card. Because some video card have their own utilities to change such things as color,resolution or to enable the video out component of the video card.
For recording to a vcr? It's fine too but I find it of low quality. It is better to get a firewire card if you donot have one to export the video to a camera or a deck.

Anthony Claudia January 29th, 2004 07:06 AM

I am trying to go firewire>camera>t.v.

I think the problem is with Premeire 6.0. There does not seem to be an option to preview via firewire. I may have to move to Pro to get this functionality.

Glenn Chan January 30th, 2004 01:31 AM

Premiere 6 can do it. Read the manual for it, and read the manual for your camera (you need to toggle which way the DV-analog conversion is going!).

I'd move to PPro or Vegas anyways. Premiere 6 is frustrating, especially without the patches.

Anthony Claudia February 4th, 2004 07:27 AM

I moved to PPro, and it works like a charm. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a related question. Does using your camera in this capacity create unecessary wear and tear. In other words, will I be shortening the life span of my camera by using it as a firewire adapter to my monitor. Is it advisable to purchase a second device to dedicate to this task, such as an inexpenisve cam, or an actual adapter?

Edward Troxel February 4th, 2004 08:25 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Anthony Claudia : Does using your camera in this capacity create unecessary wear and tear. In other words, will I be shortening the life span of my camera by using it as a firewire adapter to my monitor. Is it advisable to purchase a second device to dedicate to this task, such as an inexpenisve cam, or an actual adapter? -->>>

In some ways yes and in other ways no. Obviously, the transport/heads will not receive any additional wear and tear because they are not being used. However, the camera IS powered up and running.

I definitely would purchase something else to go in-between. There are several firewire to analog convertors available. You might also want to consider using a DECK for this purpose. The deck would also let you capture and PTT without putting additional wear and tear on the camera too.

Anthony Claudia February 4th, 2004 09:16 AM

Thanks for the information.

What are some of the things I should consider when shopping for a new Deck (aside from budget)? I am sure there are some brands to stay away from etc.