DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Cracking and popping... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/19591-cracking-popping.html)

Barry Gilbert January 10th, 2004 05:23 PM

Cracking and popping...

I used a Canon GL2 to capture the County Cotillion. I used the factory mic the whole time. I am currently using PP to edit it and Encore 1.0 to make my menus. When I play it back straight off the camera to a tv, it plays back with no problems. After capture, I play it back in PP and other programs and it sounds fine. After I encode it meg2, I have a couple places where I can hear crackling and popping in the audio while playing back in Encore. If I burn it to a DVD straight from PP, I get the same popping in the same places. I have encoded with these settings:
Transcode Settings:

Format--MPEG2
NTSC MPEG2-GENERAL
Multiplexer set to mpeg2

Format--MPEG2-DVD
NTSC DV High Quality 4MB VBR 2 pass

NTSC DV High Quality 7MBVBR Surcode DD 5.1

NTSC DV High Quality 7MB cBR 1 pass

Multiplexing set to : Type DVD

All these different setting have yielded to the same results.
I am currently encoding it at:
HIGH Quality 4MB (without the DV in the setting)

Should I be trying to burn it with the "NONE" box selected in the mutliplexing tab? That is the way I am trying this last one. I am running out of things to try and thought I would ask the experts. So if you have advice I would gretly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Barry

Rob Lohman January 11th, 2004 09:26 AM

Multiplexing should not be the issue of this. Multiplexing just
combines the video and audio stream(s) into one file.

I've never used Premiere Pro, but had a lot of similar audio
problems on Premiere that I never solved. I just did my audio
in another applicationt till I switched to Vegas.

First question. What is the original way the audio was recorded?
In 16 bit 48 khz mode or in 12 bit 32 khz?

Output to DVD is in 48 khz, what audio output settings are you
using besides the audio rate?

From the DVD FAQ:

Linear PCM: 48/96 kHz, 16/20/24 bits, 1 - 8 channels, max 6.144 Mbps
Dolby Digital: 48 kHz, up to 24 bits, 64 - 448 kbps (384 or 448 being used for 5.1 a lot and 192 for stereo)
MPEG audio: 48 kHz, 16/20 bits, 32 - 912 kbps (384 is normal), upto 7.1 channels
DTS: 48 kHz, up to 24 bits, 64 - 1536 kbps (typical is 754.5 & 1509.25 for 5.1, 377 or 754 for stereo)

If you go outside these parameters you might have playback
problems as well.

Barry Gilbert January 11th, 2004 10:16 AM

May have found something

Last night I was going over everything in PP to see what could have caused it. I don't know if I mentioned it but the problem always should up where I faded to black and came back in another scene. Well low and behold I saw where I came back to the other scene where the audio is fading in (if that is the correct term for it) and when I set the level I set it above the middle section where the rest of the video was. I lowered it and rendered out that section and heard nothing but what was on the tape. So now I am rendering out the whole thing and will hopefully have the same results.

Thanks Rob for your advice....again. Ya'll (I'm from the South) don't realize how much I have learned from you. I hope I can be a main-stay as well some day doing as you do.

Thanks,
Barry

Rob Lohman January 12th, 2004 04:03 AM

Glad you got it sorted. Looks like you were overcranking the
audio. Glad I could be of assistance, and don't worry, we all
started out and I'm sure you'll be able to help a lot of others
yourself!