NLE's part deux at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:55 PM   #1
New Boot

NLE's part deux

Thanks for the input about Pinnacle vs Matrox vs Canopus.

One more question: If I'm doing the math right, it seems that to buy a turnkey system costs about $300 to $1000 more than buying a new system, say a comparably-equipped Dell, and adding a card and an extra hard drive. Any comments as to this being a "safe" approach, if you go with a "stable" card like Canopus DV Storm? Anyone ever do something similar?

Thanks again,

Eddie
Old May 13th, 2002, 05:35 PM   #2
Sponsor: Electronic Mailbox

We've been recommending Dell workstations for Pinnacle, Matrox & Canopus cards for years. They work very well and Dell gives very good support.

Gary
Videoguys.com
Old May 13th, 2002, 06:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have noticed this myself. Turnkey solutions for the PC run this 1000 dollar premium! I suppose if you are not computer savvy it would be a benefit, but jeez! All a DV editing workstation is, is a harddrive and a firewire card plugged into a PC. I just hate feeling the mark-up.
Dean Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 08:15 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the good input. I've lived through the days when installing something as simple as kids educational software took weeks to get it right, so I'm feeling pretty confident that compatability has progressed to the point this could be do-able. Can I run a system by videoguys for an analysis first to be sure?

Scanning the Dell and Gateway sites though, it does appear they dont exactly have the big expansive towers they used to, which might be a problem.

Im wondering if it would be better to add a DVD burner at Dell for example, or buy it along with the card.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,
Old May 15th, 2002, 07:11 AM   #5

ya gotta ba a little careful. these days, the incompatabilities that exist are more between motherboards and video cards than anything. I would recommend staying away from VIA chipset based motherboards, since they are fairly problematic. there is also a lot of dishonesty among mobo manufacturers as to exactly what memory configurations their boards will accept. Just 'cuz it's got 4 DIMM slots, doesn't mean it will accept 4 sticks of RAM. Once you decide on a mobo & vid card, I would suggest hanging out at the appropriate forum website to read the experience of others with your combo.

Good luck.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC