Cooling and new SATA HDD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 19th, 2004, 01:03 PM   #1
Major Player

Cooling and new SATA HDD

Hi guys,

I'll go a bit out of subject here :-)

Two days ago I installed a new HDD in my machine - a Serial ATA 150 Maxtor, size: 200gb.

First everything worked just fine - but after a while I got a message from windows telling me that "write cache data is corrupted for drive f:" ( the new drive ). So I installed new drivers, updated BIOS and re-formatted the drive, but alas, still the same problem.

Opened the machine and felt a terrible heat! The new drive was about +70 C. Re-mounted my drives in special hard-drive boxes with fan holders. Now everything worked, but the drive still got hot.

Just out of curiosity I switched from using the special SATA power cable to a standard power cable(the HDD have both connectors) - and after that the drive stays at +40 C. I can't explain why, but I felt that I wanted to share my experiences!

I'm upgrading my machine for the big project :-) Will receive a Canopus Storm2 tomorrow - then I'll be ready to deal with 2 weddings and 15 hrs of "home videos" that I've put on hold for some time.

Some notes on the HDD:
I bought it especially for video editing, it has "slow" access time, 12.5ms, slow burst ( 66mb/sec ) - BUT it delivers 52mb/sec continuously and that what matters for me! If you are about to upgrade your disks, I can recommend a visit at: www.tomshardware.com. If you're interested in profiling your own disk, please visit: http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php ( look for HDTach ).

Best regards,

Lazze Z

Sweden
Old January 19th, 2004, 05:07 PM   #2
Inner Circle

www.storagereview.com usually puts Tom's Hardware to shame.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC