Education Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 20th, 2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Education Question

I am looking for a place that offers NLE education at a seminar level. I have neither the time, not the cash flow to get a degree. I know the basics, but as I am going to try to do this for other people I would like to have some formal education. You know, something I can hang on the wall of my storage shead so people will know I'm not a total goofball. I'm a goofball with some formal training.

I'm looking for something like DV Dojo. I know, why no go there? Well, I try to avoid New York. Nothing against it, just some personal "bad mojo".

I would really love someplace in the San Francisco bay area as I plan to travel there anyway. I want PC platform, 7days or less, for around $1000

Thanks for any help you can give
If there is a thread on this topice, please direct me to it, because I couldn't find it.
Old January 20th, 2004, 07:16 PM   #2
Wrangler

Check out the Academy of Art College. I've heard good things about their programs. Many of the instructors work as well as teach. You can sign up for one of their tours. They focus on 2-4 year students, but don't mind if you just sign up for one class. Interesting though to take the tour. Their CG, TV, and movie labs are fun to see. They also have some interesting online classes. Here is the one with Avid Express DV

I remember when I lived in SF 4 years ago, they had a good relationship with the Lucas/Skywalker Ranch folks across the bay in Marin, as well as several tv stations.

If you want to save some money, check out some community colleges.
Michael Wisniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2004, 09:18 PM   #3
Major Player

its a bit too far out of your way but 1beyond.com in boston has various classes.

i took a really basic premiere class there years ago and it was very well done.

i'm a big fan of the classroom in a book series, i didn't see you mention what program you are using, but if its premiere pro, get the classroom in a book for premiere pro, go out and shoot a lot of footage and you can learn a lot by looking at your mistakes.

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:41 PM   #4

Don't forget VASST, the training tours for Premiere will be up and running again this spring. We're starting out 2004 with an ACID for Non Linear Editors, taught by Rudy Sarzo and Jeffrey P. Fisher.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2004, 11:44 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok what is this VASST of which you speak?

I was leaning toward Avid, but you know, I'm flexable.

Right now I'm using cheap software. Nothing worth mentioning.

Thanks
Joe
Old January 23rd, 2004, 02:01 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Check with the local community college, and see if there isn't a local filmmakers group. Something like FAF in San Francisco, or SWAMP here in Houston. Lots of seminars, training and such offered through those groups.

AVID offers seminars at regularly scheduled times and places, but they are very intense and very pricey. Check their website www.avid.com
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 09:02 AM   #7
RED Code Chef

VASST

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 11:55 AM   #8

VASST is Video, Audio, Surround, Streaming training, where our instructors travel around the world on tours in various cities. We currently teach Premiere, Live Type, FCP, Ulead products, and Sony Products, plus a Power Production Techniques (PPT) class that is entirely dedicated to camera use, lighting, and sound for DV, where attendees bring their own cameras so they can shoot in various lighting conditions, and have hands-on access to a wide variety of microphones, belt-hard drives, lights, and other gear.

http://www.vasst.com is where you can find info. We've just moved that site from the http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/aboutvasst.htm site, so there are still some pages to be built.
You can sign up for the mailing list by contacting mannie(at)sundancemediagroup.com
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

www.vtc.com has many great courses for only 30$ a month you can view unlimited amount on the internet, i highly recommend...
Lyndon Golanowski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC