Broadcast editing, how to smooth transition? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old January 25th, 2004, 02:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Broadcast editing, how to smooth transition?

Ok I am doing a broadcast peice for a client that will appear on the Dr.Phil show. I have studied other editors and usually when someone is narrating the clips have low level audio and usually the same color when switching shots...I am using different color shots however and I am wondering if there is any way to make it look smoother, right now it just pops up all fast and I don't really like it, maybe Im to picky?

any tips on making clip-clip-clip transitions look smooth instead of pop-pop-pop i want -hello-how-ya-doin..remember that these clips are being narrated, also should I leave in the audio of the clips to be played with the narration?

Thanks guys!
Lyndon Golanowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2004, 07:42 PM   #2
Major Player

Could you maybe describe your problem a bit more? I'm having trouble visualizing what you're talking about. Are the clips that are being narrarated over contain dialogue? If this is the case and all the shots are from the same event (and the audio from each clip isn't crucial) you could just run a long audio clip along through each shot. This wouldn't work if you can see people talking, though.
Old January 25th, 2004, 10:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just what is the business with the difference in color? In what way are the clips different? Hard edits and jump cuts would make your sequence look bad, but it's really hard to say what the problem is without you giving us a bit more detail on the material you're editing.

As to the audio, I find that it's generally best to leave the audio with the clips under the voice over, turning the level down so it wont interfere with the more important narration. The viewer tends expect audio when looking at pictures where sound is produced, and is fully capable of listening to the narrator while registering the background sound.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC