i thought firewire meant digital capture? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 1st, 2004, 12:42 AM   #1
Trustee

i thought firewire meant digital capture?

i just got my xl1s a few days ago. i just played around with it and hooked it up to my computer. i use vegas so when i went to capture it was almost like analog. i thought that capturing via firewire meant that it'd do a high speed copy of all the footages from the DV tape. i still have to wait realtime for the 60min tape to capture all 60min? *sigh*.
Old February 1st, 2004, 01:05 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You are limited by the transfer speed of the tape. Presumably, getting the tape to run at 2X speed is too complicated and expensive for the format. Sony does have a system where you can capture 2X or 4X real-time, but it isn't worth the price of that system ($20k I think). You can log your clips (take notes) while you capture or do something else.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2004, 03:28 AM   #3
Wrangler

Firewire is digital and is far better than analog. The reason why you might be seeing lower picture quality on capture is that the codec or data rate you are using is not at DV quality.

Please post your settings

Firewire or any other connection captures in real-time unless as Glenn has said you are willing to spend a lot lot lot lot lot lot more :)

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC