Two or more hard drives -- how? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 9th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Gints, what motherboard do you have? The Intel chipset boards with the ICH5 RAID controller on board will do RAID for free. You need SATA drives though.

WinXP may also have software RAID, but I don't know if that's any good. It will use up some CPU so that could defeat the point of RAIDing (RAID is supposed to give more performance).
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Glenn, I just bought a Gigabyte 875P motherboard, but it doesn't have the RAID controller. The price difference between this motherboard and its RAID-enabled brother was $50, while a RAID card is about $40. So, the card costs me about as much, but I can't comment on its performance relative to the motherboard chip.

Basically, I want one system disk, one DVD Auxilliary file disk for writing projects, and one RAID array for reading/writing uncompressed video data.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:57 PM   #18
Inner Circle

The RAID-enabled brother might have another hardware RAID controller on top of the Intel ICH5 one. The second RAID controller might suck, but the Intel one should be decent. Are you sure you don't have ICH5 RAID on your board? (some motherboards actually don't, but most 875P boards should...)
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Glenn,

Well, golly. I read the manual, which is confusing because it's for two motherboards. You're right, I do have a RAID controller, but it's for SATA only, according to what I can make out in the manual. Thank you.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC