Audio Sync at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old May 20th, 2002, 03:52 PM   #1
rcumpton

Audio Sync

Here's a weird one; anyone have any suggestions or comments? I'm running Adobe Premiere 6 with a Pinnacle DV500 Plus. I have an XL1 and a recently acquired XL1S. I recently taped an hour long stage play using both cameras. I captured both tapes to my NLE using the XL1 and noted that the audio sync was perfect on the material recorded on the XL1. However, the audio sync of material caputred with the "S" began to suffer after about 3 minutes. Towards the end of the hour program, the audio and video sync was off by about a second.

I have not tried to capture the material originally shot with the XL1S with the XL1S to see if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?
Old May 21st, 2002, 11:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

On my xl1S, I swear, I've not had a problem, 'til the other day. I think I noted about a frame for every 71 seconds.

In FCP, luckily you can change the speed of the audio track w/out rendering, whew.

I did this on a calculator using my start point, end point and how many frames I was roughly off by. (it was a 33minute clip). I put the audio speed to 99.96[13??] and came out dang close.

keep us posted
Old May 21st, 2002, 04:14 PM   #3
rcumpton

Yes, I've done the same in Premiere, adjusting the audio track speed. However, some weird things happen when I do that. The audio track sometimes shifts in time, sometimes at the front end, other times at the rear - a real pain. Also, the speed adjustment for Premiere can only be made in 1/100ths of a percent (or is it limited to 1/10ths?... anyway). The increments are just not fine enough to home in on the right speed.

Thanks for the reply.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC