Any Good Sfx Programs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 6th, 2004, 07:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any Good Sfx Programs

Hey guys, Friday night and I'm in front of the computer wondering is there any good sfx programs I use with vegas or 24p or 24pa files from the dvx? I'm looking to animate some fire, flashes, stuff like that would prevent me from torching my locations by accident...
Thanks Neil
Neil Kissoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2004, 11:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Check out Jay Rose's articles on dv.com. It has some information on how to make sound FX sound better, and where to get sound FX. You can either buy em off sites like sounddogs.com or make em yourself- foley.

http://www.dv.com/dv_login.jhtml?_requestid=93370 registration required.

Vegas has filters that can do the things talk about. The compressor could be a bit better but it'll work.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #3
Wrangler

I think Neil's interested in special effects.

Neil, you may want to look into particleIllusion, which comes standalone or built into discreet's combustion.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2004, 11:00 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys, my fault I meant special fx but sound stuff will come in handy as well, Glenn. Mucho thanks fellas...
Old February 9th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hey Guys is there a program that would let me shoot an object the map it over another shot almost a green scrren kida effect
Old February 9th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

You mean like shoot green screen footage (background = green, or blue) or luma key footage (background = black)?

On zero budget, you could try doing a difference key but that is less likely to work. You can average out frames while time lapsing to combat video noise and then it might be possible to get a good difference key.

Vegas will do keying pretty well.
Old February 10th, 2004, 12:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

well say I shoot a panning background (ex forest), the shoot a jeep seperatley, is there a way to place the moving jeep on the forest shop...
Thanks
Old February 10th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Well you *could* rotoscope the Jeep out of the background, but that would take you a long, long, long time. You have to be very careful how you shoot the Jeep (does perspective match, shoot with a high shutter, etc.). I'd like to think that there is a better way.

In Hollywood they have a thing where the vehicle is on a giant treadmill, but that's out of your budget.
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Me too, I'm going to try using minatures against seperately shot backgrounds... I have no idea what I'm gonna do...
Old February 12th, 2004, 08:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hey Neil,

Getting back to your original post, if you're still looking for fire or explosions I would look into Pyromania, http://www.vce.com/pyro.html.

I used a couple of them on a commercial I did a while back and they worked out well.
Old February 12th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Rob, That stuff looks pretty cool too, I'm gonna have to look into that, thanks again...
Neil Kissoon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC