The *HEAT* is on at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 10th, 2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Major Player

The *HEAT* is on

Hi all,

This isn't really about video editing :-) BUT,

When I upgraded to a 3.2ghz/800 P4 I kept my "old" Arctic Cooling CPU Fan ( designed for 3 ghz ). Everything was running nicely...until I started a Median Filter render in Vegas. Then the CPU temprature climbed from a moderate 55C to 80....85...and then my watchdog shutdown the computer. So today I bought the Zalman 7000 CU CPU fan. With this new CPU fan and 4 case fans I can keep the CPU at 65 C when doing long renders.

Just wanted to share this experience with you - so that you don't burn you CPU:s!

Obviously the "stress" tests they run when testing the cooling performance of CPU coolers is much less demanding than a Median Filter render in vegas.

Happy - Cool - Editing!

// Lazze
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:49 AM   #2
Trustee

Hey Lars,

85 sure is hot. I hope no damage was done. Have you noticed much difference, besides the heat, between the 3.0 and 3.2 chips. I'm in the middle of building a new box and am wondering if the extra 8000 yen is worth it for the 3.2.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Except on very long renders, you won't notice any difference between 3 and 3.2Ghz.

I'm running at 2.8Ghz with three fans. One on the GPU, one on the CPU and one in the power supply. Temp 55

If the heat went up that much when you changed cpus it might have just not been attached good to the cpu with silicon paste. No fan would cause such a temperature change when only going from 3Ghz to 3.2Ghz.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #4
Major Player

Adrian, I just bought 3.0 GHz - 238000 Y!

In fact my plan was to buy 2.6, but after the Prescot release the price of 2.8 came down to that of 2.6.
So sudenly 3.0 became the best buy I think. You can even overclock it mildly to 3.2 without much stressing the system. You don't need even high spec (and even higher price) memory. PC3200 (DDR400) will run in 1:1 if good quality (Samsung memory has proven that).
You'll need better than the stock cooler I expect.
Have a good luck!
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #5
Inner Circle

You can't compare the temps between different systems since it could be measured differently. Abit boards defenitely measure temperatures differently.

However, the relative temperature changes should be somewhat reliable.

And there really isn't that much difference between a 3.0 and a 3.2. The difference is only somewhere around 6.6%. I'd find it hard to feel the difference.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:16 PM   #6
Major Player

i just went from a single pentium 4 to dual xeon and i went with the pc power and cooling cpu cooler and they really seem to make a difference over the factory intel heat sink/fan combo

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 10:34 PM   #7
Trustee

Hey Bogdan, 238000!!?? I think you added one to many zeros there mate. Twenty-three thouand is a pretty good price. My wife found a good site for comparing prices from shops all over Japan.

I didn't think there'd be much difference between the two. The motherboards I'm looking at both have good overclocking capabilities so I can turn up the juice if I want a little more. I'm building this from the ground up for Avid Express and taking my sweet time so I can get all the right components.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:00 PM   #8
Major Player

wow!! 85 is wayyy too hot for a p4!! There must have been a problem, like your heatsink wasn't seated properly.
Tavis Shaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #9
Major Player

Sorry Adrian, 23 800 without tax.
I decided to buy just the things I can't find in my regional shops via the net.

Be aware that this places are rather strict with their return policies (just 1 or 2 weeks). So I tried to match the parts arivell with the purchaise here on place.

It didn't work - pc-success sent me first the last thing I ordered and in different color. Their categories (A, B, C, etc.) which mean how long will take them to ship doesn't mean much. I waited long for things which were supposed to come in one week.
And they didn't combine the shipments so even the tiny tube of Artic Ceramique comes separate at a full shipment charge of 1000 yen.

So now I have problem with the cooling as I don't want to rely on net for ordering but will rather chose from the limited offers here in Oita.

Sorry for being of topic all others.
Bogdan Vaglarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Hi,

I bought a Zalman 7000 all cupper fan and replaced the intel original.

System idle temp is about 40-45 ( that is when I surf and run Visual studio ).

If I start a new project in Vegas and adds MEDIAN - Light noise removal as a track effect on a 10 min clip ( that will be like hours of rendering ) - the temperature climbs from 45 to 50, to 53 stays there for a while... then 58 60 63 68 and there it stops! I have 4 case fans ( 2 in-blowing and 2 outblowing ) + 1 BIG NB fan. Now I run my computer without closing the box.

Please, test yourself - make a real intense( like 90-100% CPU usage all the time) render that takes more than 10 minutes to finish and monitor your temperature.

Now I'm thinking Vapochill or Watercooling....

Best regards,

Lazze
Old February 12th, 2004, 01:02 PM   #11
Major Player

have you double checked to make sure you have a good tight connection between the chip surface and the heat sink?

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2004, 07:33 AM   #12
Major Player

Watercooling -> CPU/VGA/Chipset Power kit - KT12A-L30/220V/Dual Rad. 10mm

Hi,

Update: Ordered a watercooling system today.

http://80.196.45.99/Webshopfolder/we...&liste=&side=3

It is Asetek(Vapochill)'s newest complete watercooling system for CPU, Chipset and VGA.

Will give you a full report after testdriving it ( end of next week ).

// Lazze

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC