CPU Power Supply question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 18th, 2004, 01:27 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Google search for "power supply calculator"
First link: http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

I also said which programs will monitor voltages:
Quote:
Anyways, power supply really shouldn't be a problem for you. If you experience problems, download Motherboard Monitor or use your motherboard's monitoring utility to check your voltages to see if they're within 5% of what they're supposed to be.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:23 PM   #17
Major Player

Rob, it is 350W.
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #18
Major Player

No worries, mate. Load it up.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 01:21 PM   #19
Major Player

Regarding the PCI cards, do I check that too with the motherboard? I mean, my mobo has already the PCI cards listed including the network card, USB, FireWire, etc... When calculated, total PSU consumption minimum was 380 W! I don't think that's really accurate... but perhaps I should invest in a 400 or 450W.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:17 PM   #20
Major Player

You say those pci cards are already on the motherboard. Do you mean they are built into the motherboard? Or are these actual, physical, cards that can be unplugged from the motherboard?

If these features are built into the motherboard, it will use less power than if they are seperate plug-in pci cards.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:38 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Hmm it seems like a lot of power supply calculators differ in the numbers they use. There are also various numbers you could use. For hard drives, they take a lot of wattage to start spinning and then use less energy once they're up and running. Most sites list hard drives as between 5-15W, while it can take up to 30W to start up.

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/disc/ds_barracuda7200.7.pdf
On seagate's site, the 7200.7 (7200rpm PATA/SATA drive) takes up to 12.5W while writing or seeking. Other manufacturer's drives probably take more wattage... but probably not the 25W the jscustompcs.com site suggests. I think the numbers there ,may be a bit exaggerated since I've seen a few other calculators that give lower numbers.

350W should be good enough for most people. The worst case is when you are running a Pentium3.2C/Prescott/AMD64 processor, top of the line video card, and multiple hard drives.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:23 PM   #22
Inner Circle

There's an excellent thread about power supplies at http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...5&m=8490995295. It has brand recommendations, because off-brand power supplies probably have their wattage rating fudged.

There's another calculator over at
http://takaman.jp/psu_calc.html?english
Old March 2nd, 2004, 09:19 PM   #23
Major Player

Rob, they are built into the motherboard already.

I am not noticing any problems at the moment (or ever from the beginning). Everything is running fine, no crashes, stable -- then I guess I have enough power. :)
Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:51 PM   #24
Major Player

If all that is built into the motherboard then the power requirements for the whole motherboard are all you need to look up. You don't need to look at individual cards at all.

Disk drives, in fact all mechanically driven electrical devices, use the most power at start up. So that number is the only one you should use. If a drive only runs on, say, 5 watts while running but needs 10 watts to spin up, then your power supply better be able to deliver that 10 watts on demand. Therefore, you just add 10 watts to your power requirements.

According to my Asus P4T-E manual, a typically loaded system consumes 230watts max. A heavily loaded system is 300w max. But they don't define what a system is.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC