Some questions related to HDs & NLE programs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old February 26th, 2004, 10:32 AM   #16
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Adrian Douglas : The bottom line is for DV you don't need to spend a fortune on terrabyte RAID and dual Xeon systems unless you plan on doing feature length, effects heavy, work. -->>>

So what if I were to do a feature length? I am just getting started, and I want to use Sony's DVCAM. Will SATA be fast enough for me, or will I need SCSI? Two processors? Will the 1394 port on the mb suffice, or will I need to go with something like a Canapus Storm 2 card?

Thanks
Monte
Monte Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Feature length: you must be crazy?

Is SATA fast enough: Yes, for DV (DVCAM, DVCPRO, mini-DV, digital8 are all DV). So is normal ATA, also known as parallel ATA or PATA. SCSI isn't really ideal for video nowadays. ATA RAID is the way to go.

Two processors: you don't really need it. Some NLEs like Final Cut Pro will benefit a lot from dual processors (FCP is Mac, not PC). Some like Vegas won't benefit much. Even with NLEs that really benefit from dual processors, you don't need em.

The IEEE1394/firewire port on your motherboard will suffice as long as it works. The Canopus Storm 2 card won't help you unless you're using certain NLEs (Premiere), in which case it will provide hardware acceleration.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC