DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   2 nle's on one pc (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/21874-2-nles-one-pc.html)

Michael Lixenberg February 24th, 2004 12:53 PM

2 nle's on one pc

I am running a RTX100 with Premiere 6.5 on a P4 2.4 and want to move up to a Pinnacle Edition Pro but I still have unfinished projects on the Matrox/Premiere and don't want to invest in a new PC aside from that I ocassionally rent out my studio to editors who know Premiere.
Is there any chance these two could co-exist and work ok on the same platform and how would I do it

Michael

Adrian Douglas February 24th, 2004 07:07 PM

If you were to use the standard Pinnacle Edition, by Pro you mean the hardware supported version don't you, then you would probably be ok but two hardware cards, especially one being from Pinnacle is asking for problems. Pinnacle's cards are notorious for not playing well with others and need to be carefully matched to MBs, sound and graphics cards.

Michael Lixenberg February 25th, 2004 02:22 AM

2 nle's on one pc

Thanks Adrian for the info
Is it then feasable to install just the edition program and input thru the Matrox brekout box or the 1394 on the Matrox card?

Adrian Douglas February 25th, 2004 06:05 AM

If the Matrox card is OHCI compliant then Edition may be able to use it but no promises. Vegas doesn't recognise the DV500 in my machine and it's OHCI compliant supposedly.

To be totally honest I'd just stick with the Matrox card and Premiere. I have Vegas, Avid and Premiere 6.5 on my machine and keep coming back to Premiere because of the breakout box. Both Avid and Vegas have "RT" preview but it's only on my computer monitors.

Edward Troxel February 25th, 2004 09:09 AM

Both Avid and Vegas have "RT" preview but it's only on my computer monitors.

Vegas will preview to an external monitor via firewire. This includes ALL transitions and effects.

Adrian Douglas February 25th, 2004 10:48 PM

You're right Edward but my system doesn't have a generic firewire card it has the DV500 which Vegas and Avid don't see as compatable. I imagine the same would happen with the Matrox card.

John Lee February 25th, 2004 11:47 PM

AVID will also preview to an external monitor via firewire as well.

Since I don't have the money for a fancy NTSC monitor, I use my GL2, have it hooked up via firewire and the RCA jacks plugged into a decent 20" television set. AVID will put out the monitor window to the monitor. Unfortunately you have to turn off realtime effects to do this :-(

But if you render all your effects, you can output the video full resolution to the monitor.

Adrian Douglas February 26th, 2004 12:16 AM

Yes John you're right too but again neither Avid or Vegas see the Pinnacle DV500 as a OHCI compatable card even though I can run my firewire scanner through it. Neither Avid or Vegas make use of the DV500 and I imagine the same thing would go for the Matrox card. Both the Matrox and Pinnacle cards are built to be standalone cards and the OHCI compatability is basically an afterthought. They are also optomised for Premiere/Edition which may also have something to do with Avid and Vegas not using them.