When trying to import DV footage onto a video editing program... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 4th, 2004, 01:08 AM   #1
Major Player

When trying to import DV footage onto a video editing program...

When you try to import footage from your DV camcorder onto a computer and into a video editing program, do you have to be in vcr/playback mode and play back in order to get it captured, or does the software program automatically plays it for you?
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

camcorder should be in VCR mode. NLEs will be able to control your camera unless it has bad deck control. In that case you can capture stuff with a combination of pushing buttons on your camera and capturing in software.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 03:07 AM   #3
Major Player

Do you also have to rewind the tape to it's start through the camcorder VCR and then EXPORT it onto the computer?
Old March 13th, 2004, 03:31 AM   #4
Old Boot

. . hmmm .. .

David which part of Glenn's answer didn't you understand? He said, " . . camcorder should be in VCR mode. NLEs will be able to control your camera . . . " David, subject to Glenn's caveats, your PC will "control" your cammie - period.

What is it you don't understand? I'm having real difficulty in "seeing" through your question here? I may be missing something you are wanting . .

. . trying to help . . Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 07:12 AM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

Generally speaking, capturing programs will be able to do everything you are asking. Put the camera in VCR mode and the capturing progam will be able to capture from the current location, rewind and capture from the beginning, or capture a series of segments from the tape (batch capture) based on timecode ranges. When capturing, most will also be able to split the capture into multiple clips based on scene changes.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #6
Trustee

To add David,

With DV and firewire, the capture control can do fast forward, rewind, play, stop, pause while in VCR mode.

When I edit, I have about six ways to do it. I can rewind and start capture from about 5 seconds into the reel for the whole reel. You will see why you should put at least 10 seconds onto a tape before you start shooting as the higher-end editors will rewind past where you want to capture and bring the tape to speed before capturing.

Other ways of editing are finding a clip in play, using the shuttle function (slow forward and back) to find a start point to capture. Capture and stop.

Also, I can find my place, shuttle to it, mark the start, play forward, mark the end, and click digitize. The software will rewind past the mark, roll, start capturing and stop.

I can also set my marks and log them. When I am done logging, I can then tell the software to digitize them. The camera will rewind and then automatically capture all of my logged marks to HD while I do something else.

There are a couple more workflow things I can do to capture footage from tape.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #7
Major Player

I know with DV and FireWire that the PC will be able to control the tape and deck, but my main question was, do you first have to "rewind" the tape before editing. I mean, when you edit, is it automatic -- like you can be at ANYWHERE in the tape (even at the end), and just press the export button, and it will automatically rewind it for you to the beginning (It has to, right?), then start capturing onto the computer?
Old March 13th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #8
Old Boot

No. . .. . .

. . . . . it doesn't have to rewind. It is just like a VHS VCR tape that you haven't rewound. Wherever you left it . .. believe me I've got the scars - [ taping over stuff I wanted to keep . .] . . .that is where it will begin. I'll let somebody else talk to you about broken timecodes . . I'm off for supper David . . I'm glad you're getting what you want . .

Grazie
Old March 13th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #9
Sponsor: JET DV

<<<-- Originally posted by David Ho : I know with DV and FireWire that the PC will be able to control the tape and deck, but my main question was, do you first have to "rewind" the tape before editing. I mean, when you edit, is it automatic -- like you can be at ANYWHERE in the tape (even at the end), and just press the export button, and it will automatically rewind it for you to the beginning (It has to, right?), then start capturing onto the computer? -->>>

It can work either way. The capture program SHOULD have an option to auto rewind and capture from the beginning.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 05:11 PM   #10
Major Player

Graham, what I meant was that I wanted to capture the whole footage from the DV tape and my original question was did I first have to manually rewind it first (because I want to edit the whole footage from beginning to end), or does the computer program do that for you automatically.
Old March 14th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #11
Old Boot

. . . hmmmm... some feedback . . Premises, Conditions and Conclusion . . .

Okay David . . I do know what you asked. I can understand it . . quite, quite clearly . . .

You said:-

"When you try to import footage from your DV camcorder onto a computer and into a video editing program, do you have to be in vcr/playback mode and play back in order to get it captured, or does the software program automatically plays it for you?"

IMHO you have asked a "conditional" question, meaning, if I have to do "A" then as I'm asking this it must follow that I must ask "B". This is very similar to making the statement, "All Apples are Fruit; All Pears are Fruit; THEREFORE ALL Apples are Pears" . . well, this is transparently not correct.

So here goes with your question . . .

1 / Premise part of your question: "When you try to import footage from your DV camcorder onto a computer and into a video editing program, do you have to be in vcr/playback mode and play back in order to get it captured . . "

The answer here is YES. You have to be in VCR mode to capture your footage from your tape - that's why Canon call it VCR mode. VCR is an abbreviation for a Video Cassette Recorder for the device one uses for playing Video tape footage. Have you got one of these? They have been around for a long long time. They allow us to play back recorded Video VHS tape. I find them very useful for doing short term recording of the type when I may be asleep OR I'm out visiting people or SHOOTING film with my cammie. It has been said that these VCRs will vanish and that DVD will take over. Don't know about yourself, but here in the UK people still vie for VHS VCRs. Yeah? Okay . . let's move on . .

2 / This is for capturing the TAPE - yes? Okay. BUT, you could also switch the cammie over to RECORD and guess what? You would get that which is coming into the lens - LIVE - and this would pass through your cammie and onto your PC hard drive. Neat eh? Don't leave any tape in the machine. In effect you would be using your cammie as a type of TV camera, were your PC would be the recording deck.

3 / Okay, here comes the conditional part of your question, watch very carefully, I have, and really read and re-read your post to truly dissect your question . . I might add as I'm doing this I'm not out and about and SHOOTING with my cammie . . . okay here it comes," . . or does the software program automatically plays it for you?" . BINGO! You've asked the condition on not knowing what it would mean. That's why I spent sometime asking if you knew what a VCR was/is. I understand this, and what you've been getting back is a clear "Yes/NO" from people, which you haven't found enough of an explanation - well it wouldn't, would it? That is the problem with conditional questions; they can leave a person with a feeling of not knowing where they stand. And, here's the killer, they can't move on and remain stuck. I've seen people ask so, so many questions about, "What" they should do or be doing that they remain in a standstill position and they don't get what they want. It could be that they didn't want to do the initial thing in the first place anyway . . .

Later on here I've got some feedback/assistance here if you want to know.

The " . . or does the software . . .. " was the clue for me. This is the conditional part. Well David, you can have both. You can have the PC play/control the tape back to the beginning - VCR MODE - you can do it yourself at the cammie end - VCR MODE - or you can start wherever you want - VCR MODE. That's what VCR mode means. It - the cammie - will work just like a VCR.

It is very very clear you are enthusiastic about your approach to filming and videoing. You want to do it "right" first time . . . guess what David, you wont! You wont get it right first time. Hell, I've got the scars . . and yes I've got no problem with the wish to "learn" more by asking questions. My advise is that you ask ONE question. Get an answer to that then build on that answer. It is difficult when you come on this Forum and try to ask questions when you wish to know all the "ins and outs" of this, what is really, a highly technical and complex endeavour - yeah? My advise? Try and cut down your questions to do I do "A" or do I do "B". THEN, come back to us tell us what you've been able to achieve. Did "A" get you what you wanted or did "B" do it for you .. yeah?

I hope this has helped David,

My very best regards,

Graham Bernard
Old March 14th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #12
Trustee

David,

You seem to have a the term "export" confused with "import". "Export" is used for sending your edited movie back to the camera or compressing for DVD/Web etc. The term "Import" is used when talking about capturing the raw footage to your computer.

If you search both here and Google using the keywords DV glossary you will find plenty of info on terms that will help you understand what people are talking about and also get your questions answered much quicker.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC