So let me see if I understand... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 10th, 2004, 08:59 AM   #1
New Boot

So let me see if I understand...

For a month now, I have been reading every post, review and article I can find about NLE packages... These, from what I can determine, are the VERY basic pros & cons of each. If you could chime in and let me know if what I have determined is true (from your 'hands-on' experience), that would be great.

Vegas + DVD
*PROS: Stable, Great audio editing w/5.1, Quick edits, Reasonably priced, User friendly & wildly popular on this site...
*CONS: Long render time, functionality tops out at a Pentium 2.8C, not as many plug-ins (although I'm not totally sure what those are anyway) as others, on-lining (I think that means taking it to a transfer house, etc.) not as easy as Avid.

Adobe Video Collection Pro
*PROS: Complete package of tools, somewhat reasonably priced, many plug-ins, User friendly (but not as much so as Vegas), Good audio editing w/5.1, good real-time effects and faster rendering, The faster the computer-the faster the application (doesn't top out like Vegas)...
*CONS: Buggy, Bogs down when asked alot, not very popular on this site, on-lining not as ease as Avid...

Avid Xpress Pro
*PROS: Top notch editing tools, Industry standard, On-lining easy with Avid, Pretty stable if configured to their specs, many plug-ins, real-time effects & faster rendering, doesn't top out at a certain speed computer...
*CONS: No 5.1 editing, not as user-friendly as the two above, larger learning curve, priced pretty high, wants to be a NLE computer only & doesn't handle 'extra' stuff AND Windows updates very well.

Final Cut Pro
I know very little about this one because it appears to be only for the Mac. My question would be (since I don't have a computer yet) is the application SO GOOD that I should scrap my IBM ideas and go with a Mac?

ALL OTHERS
I have really only studied the above mentioned NLE's, so I couldn't tell you pros and cons on any of the others...

IN CONCLUSION, as I'm sure you are already painstakingly aware, I re-define "Newbie" and therefore, could be so far out in left field I'm in the bleachers... However, you gotta start somewhere, huh? All of you top notch brainiacs were newbies once yourselves and I think it's pretty darn cool that you would be willing to help those of us along with your knowledge. For that, I thank you.

Jeff Baergen
Jeff Baergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Re: So let me see if I understand...

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Baergen : Vegas + DVD
functionality tops out at a Pentium 2.8C

Adobe Video Collection Pro
The faster the computer-the faster the application (doesn't top out like Vegas)... -->>>

I don't understand these comments. Vegas will use whatever processor speed you have when rendering. If you have a Pentium 3.2, it should render faster than if you have a Pentium 2.8. I don't know where you're getting the "tops out" information.

Render time has never been a problem for me. I spend the time necessary in editing, start the render process, and go to bed. It's rendered by the time I wake up whether it took 1 hour or 4 hours.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #3
Wrangler

Some editors don't sleep.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #4
Warden

You can get a tour of Final Cut Pro here. Check out the "Features at a Glance" section on that page, it gives you examples of just a few of FCP 's features and benefits. It is the most complete suite of video editing tools available. FCP is used in every facet of video production from weddings and events to broadcast to feature film and television. Apple has a complete suite of tools that all play pretty well together. FCP and Cinema Tools for video and film, Logic Pro for audio production, Shake for digital compositing and DVD Studio Pro for DVD authoring.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #5

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt : Some editors don't sleep. -->>>

You ought to try it some time. It's nice and refreshing :-)

Seriously, Jeff, Download the demos or find someone who has them and can demonstrate them for you. Vegas, Premiere, Avid, and FCP will all get you where you want to go. The question is: Which one best matches YOUR workflow? For me, the answer was Vegas.
Old March 10th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #6
Inner Circle

FCP and Premiere Pro IMO have a very similar interface. It's like Premiere Pro is a FCP clone. They have the same designer so maybe that's why. Avid, FCP, and PP all seem to have better media management than Vegas, with Avid being the best (this is what other people tell me).

Audio-wise, Vegas is the best hands-down.

As far as hard goes:
Vegas has no hardware acceleration, but the faster your processor the better (it does not top out at 2.8C). Dual processors don't help much but improve DVD encoding speed (close to 2X).

Avid- you can get hardware acceleration in the form of Mojo ($2kish). You need to figure out some stuff with the PCI bus if you plan to get Mojo.

Premiere- many reasonably priced acceleration boards out there, but some of them are really picky about your motherboard.

For FCP you can get hardware acceleration from the Cinewave, which is a "few" thousand dollars. But with a dual 1.8ghz machine it's kinda fast. It's really fast with the optimized Apple filters (7 streams + 1FX on each I think), but not so fast with other non-optimized filters.

There's also edition, which gives 1 stream of RT for each 600mhz of CPU speed and even more from video card-acceleration effects (2d stuff). Plus, it has background rendering which makes it even faster. Edition should be the fastest of the bunch.

Most of these programs have reasonable demos.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 03:00 PM   #7
New Boot

Must have misunderstood info...

Edward et al,

In a reply to one of my earlier posts, Glenn Chan was graciously answering some questions about NLE's and wrote,

"A pentium 2.8C is about where Vegas performance will top out. You can throw more money at it and it won't get faster by much. " Here is the link to the thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=21922

However, I'm pretty sure now that I misunderstood what he was meaning. I think he was speaking about render times. Is that correct, Glenn?

Glenn, you stated in this thread, "Premiere- many reasonably priced acceleration boards out there, but some of them are really picky about your motherboard." Are you speaking of Matrox RTX100 and others like Canopos?

Thanks guys for your help.

Jeff
Jeff Baergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 03:32 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Just to comment on Avid. It too is processor speed related, the faster the better... so it's upgradeable even without MoJo. And it takes advantage of dual processors. Good deals can be had for packaged price breaks on Avid and Avid with Mojo. Don't overlook all the third party software that comes with the avid package.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #9

Vegas will use the full power of the computer to wherever a bottle-neck occurs. Usually that bottle-neck is NOT the processor (once you get to those speeds). It could be the hard drive, the bus speeds, memory speeds, etc... However, depending on the effects added, it could very well be the processor.

Rest assured Vegas will use the full processing speed. While many people have stated that Vegas doesn't use multiprocessors, it IS multi-processor aware and does use them when rendering. The video stream uses one processor and the audio stream uses another.

Another advantage of Vegas (especially on multi-processor systems), start rendering, open another copy of vegas, and keep right on editing while the first instance is still rendering.
Old March 10th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Not to fuel the fight about which is better, but for ME in my work, I tried Avid Express,Premiere,Edition and Vegas when I decided to finally join the 20th century. Don't want to rush into anything, right!?!?
Anyway after playing and fiddling and trying and spending some cash I made an informed decision to use Vegas. I don't regret it at all and haven't looked back. Do I wish for some improvements? Of course, can I earn a living while using Vegas? Are you kidding, I used a low level Pinnacle product for 3 years before Vegas and before that I did LINEAL editing. YUK! I still made money.

What I'm trying to say is get the demo's, find a friend, a user group, whatever to try the various programs out and see which works for YOU and the work you're doing.

Now if I could only teach my dog to edit!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2004, 08:49 PM   #11
Inner Circle

By "top out" I meant that you really start to see diminishing returns for your money past a 2.8ghz Pentium "C". Well because technology moves fast the more expensive processors don't cost as much and are a better buy now. But you really see diminishing returns with them- pay quite a bit extra for around 6% faster speed each speed grade. 6/12% isn't much.

You still aren't going to see much of a boost from a single processor system to a dual processor system for rendering one project (because the second processor will usually be idle). Dual processors systems would come in handy during MPEG2 encoding, running 2 instances of Vegas (as Edward pointed out), and may come in handy when VV5 comes out (network render onto your own computer).

I guess the point I was trying to make is that you can't currently throw more money at Vegas to make it significantly faster, unlike other systems where you can get hardware acceleration. When VV5 comes out you should be able to setup a render farm which'll make renders go faster.

Depending on your needs, Vegas is probably fast enough for you. It has real-time previews like other NLEs so you don't have to waste time rendering, and it renders reasonably fast.

2- Maybe we should have some sort of sticky where there's a list of some general pro's and con's to each NLE, so people looking at buying one will have something to start off their research with and we don't have to keep answering the same questions over and over.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #12
Major Player

Can anyone tell me if Avid Xpress or any of the Avid family products is for PC or Mac? I can't find it anywhere on their site... I guess I am just blind. :-(
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:35 AM   #13
Wrangler

David,

Avid express is PC or Mac compliant.

Thanks,

ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2004, 06:41 AM   #14
Trustee

David,

In fact Avid comes with both Mac and PC version in the one box so you can install it one either machine or both if you want to. However, you can't use them both at the same time as you need a USB "key" to activate the software. Without the key in place the application simply won't load. If you are interested in Avid then I suggest you download Avid's FreeDV and try it out.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #15
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : 2- Maybe we should have some sort of sticky where there's a list of some general pro's and con's to each NLE, so people looking at buying one will have something to start off their research with and we don't have to keep answering the same questions over and over. -->>>

That would be a great idea... because that's what I've been trying to compile for a while. Prior planning prevents buyer's remorse! As far as you 'having' to keep answering the same questions over and over... I'm sure it's frustrating being a member, in good standing, of the "we" community having to deal with us information craving members of the "them" community as we ask repetitive and often-times redundant questions. As a self-proclaimed spokesperson for the "them" community, may I offer "our" sincerest apologies. :-)

Jeff
Jeff Baergen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC