Time-lapse DV capture - how to? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 14th, 2004, 06:58 PM   #1
New Boot

Time-lapse DV capture - how to?

I want to capture video from my GL2 to my PC over Firewire. The necessary connections are made, but none of the software I've tried lets me capture at a reduced frame rate. I want to capture for a long time at perhaps 0.5 fps, and the only options I've found to let me do that are only available for analog capture.

Is there some (preferably free) software available that does this in a straightforward way? I'd think it would not be difficult.

Thanks! :)
John Zwinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 11:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

If you use a mac, istopmotion from istopmotion.com.
Or you could capture all of it and accelerate later, depending on what editor you use.
Old March 15th, 2004, 12:42 AM   #3
New Boot

I don't use a Mac, and I don't have the disk space for so many hours of 30 fps video. Surely us Windows users are not without a solution for this sort of thing?

Meanwhile, I've embarked on a project to try to write a program myself that does what I need. So far, it can capture, but only at 30 fps! :-p Thankfully, Microsoft's DirectX SDK is fairly easy to get started with.
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #4
Regular Crew

John, I should preface my comments by saying I haven't actually done this, but I own ScenalyzerLive! (a wonderful product) and it will allow you to capture in time lapse. It's about $40 USD.

http://www.scenalyzer.com/main.html#timelapse

Depending on what NLE program you are using, they also might allow it. My older version of Premiere does (version 6: 6.5 allowed it too). I'm pretty sure they took it out of Premiere Pro, though--but then, I have ScenalyzerLive! now, so it's a moot point. I use it to capture most of the time, especially when I have a ton of clips to do.
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #5
Wrangler

I think Premiere can do stop motion though firewire, and time lapse.

Cheers,

Ed

Good things come to those who wait

My Skiing web www.Frostytour.co.uk

For quick answers Search dvinfo.net | The best in the business: dvinfo.net Sponsors
Ed Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 07:59 PM   #6
New Boot

I think I was not entirely clear. What I want to do is to avoid using tape entirely--I want to record direct to disk via the Firewire connection. I know Scenalyzer will capture from tape with time lapse, but will it capture directly to disk that way?

And what about Premiere? I have access to Premiere Pro, but I too think that it lacks this feature.

Thanks for the replies--I'm still looking for more.... :-)
Old March 15th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Premiere 6.5 has Time Lapse and will record direct to the hard drive. You are correct that Premiere Pro does not have this:
http://www.hollywoodindustry.com/200...timelapse2.htm
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Doesn't the GL2 have a time lapse feature built into the camera?
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #9
New Boot

XP PowerToys

This may be too basic, but there is a free Microsoft download from their powertoys website

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

For a "webcam timershot" program. I don't know if it's USB only, haven't tried it myself, but it's worth a shot

http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TimershotPowertoySetup.exe
Tavys Ashcroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2004, 11:26 PM   #10
New Boot

John, you got me curious so I sat down and tried this to make sure it works. I have used Premiere 6.5 to do this in the past. John Britt's post describes it well.

Scenalyzer will also do time lapse capture directly from the camera.

Setup: put camera on tripod. Take out tape. Plug one end of the firewire cable into the camera and the other end into the PC. Turn on camera (in camera mode, not VCR mode).

Start scenalyzer. File | Capture.

Click the "time-lapse capturing - capture only one of N frames" box. Enter a number in the box. For half a frame a second that would be 60. Click OK. Now when you click capture, scenalyzer will capture directly from the camera into a file on the hard drive. It will only capture a frame every other second. Works great.
Kent Diamond is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC