Good 4:4:4 Video Capture Device? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Non-Linear Editing on the PC
Discussing the editing of all formats with Matrox, Pinnacle and more.

Old March 19th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #16
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Martin Munthe : No the Targa is 4:2:2 hardware. The codec and software handling is 4:4:4. Targa and CineWave are the same thing. CineWave uses a 16-bit 4:4:4:4 codec if you want it to. That does not mean it captures 4:4:4 and outputs 4:4:4. And when it comes to digital video formats there are really only two devices that deliver 4:4:4 and that's HDCAM SR and D5. -->>>

I think you have to add D-9 in there don't you?
Old March 20th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #17
Tourist

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : <<<-- Originally posted by Martin Munthe : No the Targa is 4:2:2 hardware. The codec and software handling is 4:4:4. Targa and CineWave are the same thing. CineWave uses a 16-bit 4:4:4:4 codec if you want it to. That does not mean it captures 4:4:4 and outputs 4:4:4. And when it comes to digital video formats there are really only two devices that deliver 4:4:4 and that's HDCAM SR and D5. -->>>

I think you have to add D-9 in there don't you? -->>>

Points of correction,the only tape format as of now that records the full RGB 4:4:4 signal is HDCAM SR.
D5 and D9 are 4:2:2 formats only.
Another thing is that quicktime is not compatible with 4:4:4 RGB video(meaning that MAC is not compatible) and that is why digital voodoo is switching completely to the PC platform.
Akin Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 05:32 AM   #18
RED Problem Solver

The Mac can do 4:4:4 RGB - don't let yourself be taken in by Digital Voodoo. They moved to the PC platform because they burned all their mac customers. They promised product and didn't deliver, and promised features that didn't work. They lost their head guy, who formed black magic design, and who's products are going from strength to strength. He's also a complete quicktime guru.....

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #19
Tourist

Hmmm,i am yet to see a mac based NLE with the capability of capturing uncompressed 4:4:4 RGB.I have looked but they all seem to be PC based or on other platforms including even linux(Smoke SD).
Mac based NLEs can process internally in that format but capture?A big question mark there.
Akin Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #20
Major Player

Akin: Thanks for the input. I thought D5 was 4:4:4 but I was wrong.

No there are no MacOS solutions for hardware 4:4:4 to my knowledge. But that doesn't have anything to do with Macs being more limited. It's basically the same hardware and there's nothing in MacOS that can't handle 4:4:4.

Bluefish444 (sister company to Digital Voodoo) doesn't offer any 4:4:4 solutions despite the name. And all of the cards are QuickTime based despite Bluefish/Voodoos claims to QT being inferior to whatever.

It wasn't only bad business behavior that scared Voodoo out of the water. Voodoo was started by Grant Petty who now rund DeckLink. How many cards do you think Voodoo sold after their former engineering genius started selling DeckLink HD's at $2K? And now that DeckLink is running on PPro I don't think we'll se much more from Bluefish either but that just me speculating.
Old March 24th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #21
Regular Crew

File Sizes

Don't forget captuing in 4:4:4 uncompressed equates to 540Mb per second or about 190GB per hour of video. My experience says that not even in professional video productions (TV movies) is 4:4:4 used. The standard is DigiBeta (4:2:2) and even it is compressed slightly (1.3:1), even that is about 95GB per hour.
If you can record from the LaserDisc player to a high quality hardware DV codec (Canopus AVDC-100 or the like) the image quality will be more that acceptable. The problems will be with the conversion to DVD however at high bit rates (8Mbps) you will still be impressed with the final result.

Good Luck

Devlyn
Devlyn Hukowich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Windows / PC Post Production Solutions > Non-Linear Editing on the PC