DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   Premiere or Ulead Media Studio Pro? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/2334-premiere-ulead-media-studio-pro.html)

Dean Lyons June 9th, 2002 07:13 AM

Premiere or Ulead Media Studio Pro?

Hi all,

My only experience with Non-linear PC editing is Ulead Video Studio (a basic consumer editing application) but I find myself needing something with a little more punch.

I'm about to buy an editing software package - and I am tossing up between Premiere and Media Studio Pro.

Which of the two do you guys recommend, and why?

Thanks in advance,

Dean

ErikFilmcrew June 11th, 2002 05:57 AM

Premiere 6.0!

Premiere 6.0 is a much more versatile program. It has a better interface. It's a more common used program. It has many plug-ins for it. If you'll use Aftereffects, then they both are compatible with eachother. Also, their interface is very similar (based on the same thing).

No question about that. Premiere is more userfriendly and effective to work with.

Regards,

Erik

K. Forman June 11th, 2002 06:26 AM

Wow! Someone who didn't mention Vegas Video!?! he heh... Anyways, I have tried various Ulead programs, and they just didn't work for me. It may have something to do with the fact that I learned on Premier in a classroom enviroment, but there are features that I haven't found in many other NLEs.

Features like A B tracks, viewing audio tracks with waveform instead of just a flat line, a razor tool to cut a clip over trying to drag the clip to the right points... Things like these make Premier feel natural. It has its downsides, but I can live with minor annoyances- I have kids!
Hope this helps,
Keith

Bill Ravens June 11th, 2002 07:22 AM

well, I guess I should jump in, then. I've used both Premier 6 and MSP6.5 and find that they both have problems. Of the two, I much prefer MSP, as I find Premier clumsy and trouble prone. Now, here's the pitch for VV3. Compositing, a truly professional audio editor, many excellent transitions and best of all, a reliability that's second to none. Don't waste your time and money on second rate software...go VV3.

K. Forman June 11th, 2002 10:39 AM

Thanks Bill, I knew someone was going to say it sooner or later! I have also used VV, but the question was about Ulead and Premier. I like alot about VV, but not enough to drop Premier. I have used both in tandem on several projects, when one couldn't do what I wanted. I will only say this on the matter- Either one is fine, and either, IMHO, is better than Ulead.

But, use whatever you feel most comfortable with, and learn as many tips and tricks within that app.
Keith

Ted Jan June 11th, 2002 12:31 PM

Hmmm...I use Ulead's Media Studio Pro as well as Premier. And Media Studio Pro does have A/B tracks, a razor tool, the ability to see audio in waveform.

To me, I don't think there is much difference with the new Media Studio Pro 6.5 vs Premiere. I personally like them both. I think it really depends on what you are planning on doing with your editing system?

If you are doing this as hobby than I don't think Ulead's is a bad choice. You have the ability to create DVD's, although very simple ones, from Ulead's DVD Plugin which works with Ulead's MSP.

If you are planning on making editing a career than Premiere would probably be a better choice.

Ted