DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Non-Linear Editing on the PC (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/)
-   -   edit programs --pinnacle vs sony vegas (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/non-linear-editing-pc/235398-edit-programs-pinnacle-vs-sony-vegas.html)

Stan Kern May 15th, 2009 08:01 AM

edit programs --pinnacle vs sony vegas

When it comes to a choice between vegas pro and pinnacle 12 which is better for video edit,or if avalibale adobe premiere cs3

Seth Bloombaum May 15th, 2009 09:36 AM

Such questions have been debated ad infinitum, and you'll find lots of opinions in the relevant forums.

If there is a particular feature you need/use, say so! You can probably get some guidance on that.

Vegas & Pinnacle are great products. Ultimately, you'll probably end up downloading the demo versions and seeing what works best for you.

Don Bloom May 15th, 2009 10:19 AM

they all do the same thing and get the job done. I also suggest you DL the DEMOS,try and see which one feels and works the best for you.
(personally I love Vegas ;-)

Paul Kellett May 15th, 2009 12:06 PM

I had pinnacle 11 some time ago then moved to vegas pro 8, and i have to say that there's no comparison, vegas is in a different league, loads better, unless pinnacle 12 has made a massive leap from 11.

Also, vegas pro 8 is only 214mb in size, dvd-a only 140mb i just looked in "add or remove programs" on my pc, i remember pinnacle 11 was 10gb yes 10 gig in size, why it was that big i don't know, and it took me 45 mins to install, and it was buggy and crashy etc.
Vegas pro 8 is rock solid.
Go for vegas.

Paul.

Laurence Scott May 15th, 2009 01:34 PM

I had a lot of frustrations with Pinnacle versions 7, 8 and 9. It became routine to keep hitting the save button after every cut and splice because Pinnacle was so prone to crashing unexpectedly. I jumped over to using Ulead Video Studio which for me was completely stable but it lacked in the features I needed as my skills improved. I jumped in to using Sony Vegas 7 then Pro 8 and now Pro 9. Vegas Pro is quite a bit better than Pinnacle based on my experiences.

Jack Bellford May 17th, 2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Kern (Post 1143446)
When it comes to a choice between vegas pro and pinnacle 12 which is better for video edit,or if avalibale adobe premiere cs3

There is NO comparison between Pinnacle and vegas pro ... AT ALL. Pinnacle is a consumer level program and Vegas pro is FAR beyond that.

Bill Koehler May 18th, 2009 02:35 PM

I recently made the move from Pinnacle to Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9.
I had Pinnacle Studio for versions 7 - 11.
Versions 7 - 9 were very buggy. Save frequently, save often.
Version 10 was a product overhaul and the bugs at last started decreasing, but still not great.
Version 11 was better than 10.

What finally killed off Pinnacle Studio for me was when I started recording double system sound. I'd pull in my video, load my sound files from my Sony PCM-D50, get the audio in sync, and start cutting.

Pinnacle could not keep sound in sync to save it's life. Even when cutting video+sound in parallel, it would always do some sort of mind-of-its-own trim to the SecondSound track. It would vary between three and eightyseven frames worth of sound would disappear on a 60i timeline. And even when I went back and undid it's builtin trim and got things back in sync, or so it sounded in the editor, when I would produce and playback the DVD, the DVD sound would be out of sync by up to three seconds.

Bye, bye Pinnacle.